‘Gandhi For Tomorrow’ Theme Park To Rise In India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 26, 2013 3:26 AM EST
Jesus has one, Stalin has one and Napoleon’s will open soon. Now Mahatma Gandhi, too, will have his own dedicated theme park.
An official presentation on “Gandhi for Tomorrow,” which is based on Gandhian ideology and thoughts, took place in Mumbai on Jan. 17, and officials in charge of the project said it’s slated to rise in Sewagram, the town where Gandhi stayed for six years after the Dandi March. Located in the heart of India about eight hours north of Hyderabad, the first phase of the theme park will cover 10 acres of land and be developed at an estimated cost of $11.5 million, according to the Times of India.
The developers, Adarkar Associates, hope the new educational park will become a major tourist attraction for the largely rural area. It will be built on land adjacent to Gandhi’s Sewagram Ashram and reportedly showcase how Gandhi was in favor of “appropriate and useful” technology and not against it (as is often claimed).
Attached to the park will be a new $17.7 million international convention center to include accommodation, an auditorium and a learning center for anyone wishing to study the Gandhian model of rural India.
The Hindustan Times reports that a total of 27 places will be developed, including centers for arts, culture and technology, and a “heritage walk.” The facilities will be designed similar to centers set up in honor of anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela and America’s 16th president, Abraham Lincoln.
Born Mohandas Karamchand in 1869, Gandhi became the pre-eminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Through his signature non-violent civil disobedience, he led India to independence and inspired several other 20th century civil rights and freedom movements around the world. He was assassinated in 1948 in New Delhi by a Hindu nationalist who resented what he considered Gandhi’s partiality to India’s Muslims.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- MH17 Becomes Collateral Damage from Rebels’ Blunder and Media Manipulation
- Magaluf, Spain: Couple Having Sex in Parking Lot; More Girls Exploited on Bar Crawls
- MH17: “We will bring all of them home” – PM Tony Abbott
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales