Chichester House Fire Leads to Murder Probe over Death of Homeowner Michael Griffiths
By Hannah Osborne | January 26, 2013 3:23 AM EST
A murder investigation has been launched following a fatal fire at a house in Chichester.
The body of Michael Griffiths, 59, was found inside the property, which was his home.
His body was blocking the front door and firefighters had to remove the door to get in.
Fire scene investigators said that the seat of the fire, near a window in the lounge at the back of the property, was regarded as suspicious.
DCI Jeff Riley said: "We were advised by our fire service colleagues that there was a suspicious seat of fire. Additionally, a couple of windows appeared to have been opened before the fire took hold.
"We are treating Mr Griffiths's death as suspicious and a murder investigation has commenced."
Griffiths lived alone and there was no one else in the property at the time of the fire.
A post mortem into his death has been opened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy