Brent Poised to Post Second Week of Gains
By Laura Brodbeck | January 26, 2013 2:23 AM EST
Brent crude oil moved closer to posting gains for the second week in a row on Friday morning as it traded above $113. The commodity was buoyed by positive data from the world's largest economies, which suggested the global economy was on the road to recovery. Brent traded at $113.31 on Friday morning.
The US and China both posted positive data within their manufacturing sectors, a healthy sign of economic growth. Manufacturing growth in both nations grew rapidly, and according to CNBC, at its fastest pace in nearly two years.
The US' decision to extend the debt ceiling deadline until mid-May has also calmed the markets after the nation narrowly avoided falling over the ‘fiscal cliff'. Although a compromise has not yet been made, the extra time will give lawmakers a bit of breathing room to come up with a plan to tackle the nation's debt burden.
Confidence in the eurozone recovery has slowly returned to the market as the region moved into 2013 claiming the worst was over. Data this month from Germany suggested that Europe's largest economy was picking up, and supported hopes that 2013 would be a year of recovery for the entire region.
Brent also found support after the Seaway oil pipeline cut its oil flow rate on Wednesday. The pipeline normally delivers 400,000 barrels per day, but reduced its volume to just 175,000 bpd. A timeline for restoration hasn't yet been released, but many expect that the pipeline will resume at full capacity soon, possibly within the next week.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Russia, South Africa Sign US$50B (A$54.1B) Nuclear Deal
- Roubini Global Economics Forecasts 20% Decline In Value Of Aussie Dollar, Economic Slowdown
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 23, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 23, 2014
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?