Is Starbucks Setting the Stage for 2013 Growth?
By Dan Ritter | January 26, 2013 2:16 AM EST
Starbucks ( grew 14 percent to $0.57 per share, sharpened by a 40 basis-point increase in operating margins to 16.6 percent.
“Starbucks’ strong performance in Q1 demonstrates the strength, and unique resilience, of our increasingly global , and the power and growing relevance of the Starbucks brand to consumers and communities all around the world,” chief executive Howard Schultz said in tumbled below $45 before eventually recovering to about $55. In general, though, analysts remain very bullish on the stock partly because of the company’s ability to grow quickly and effectively.
Same-store sales grew 7 percent in the United States and 6 percent globally. This included 11 percent comparable growth in China/Asia Pacific, which are arguably regions with the greatest growth opportunities. Starbucks opened 125 stores in China/Asia Pacific in the quarter, four more than last year.
Same-region revenues grew 28 percent, while were close behind at a 26 percent growth. Margins moved up 60 basis points to 33.7 percent, by far the highest in any of its segments.
Starbucks is also advancing its K-Cup . Revenues were up 13 percent for the segment, while operating income climbed 24 percent on the back of a 230 basis-point increase in margins. This is sure to present a challenge for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters ( has been on a tear recently, and analysts are looking for $0.33 per share from the company. Dunkin has historically come in ahead of expectations.
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast