Is Starbucks Setting the Stage for 2013 Growth?
By Dan Ritter | January 26, 2013 2:16 AM EST
Starbucks ( grew 14 percent to $0.57 per share, sharpened by a 40 basis-point increase in operating margins to 16.6 percent.
“Starbucks’ strong performance in Q1 demonstrates the strength, and unique resilience, of our increasingly global , and the power and growing relevance of the Starbucks brand to consumers and communities all around the world,” chief executive Howard Schultz said in tumbled below $45 before eventually recovering to about $55. In general, though, analysts remain very bullish on the stock partly because of the company’s ability to grow quickly and effectively.
Same-store sales grew 7 percent in the United States and 6 percent globally. This included 11 percent comparable growth in China/Asia Pacific, which are arguably regions with the greatest growth opportunities. Starbucks opened 125 stores in China/Asia Pacific in the quarter, four more than last year.
Same-region revenues grew 28 percent, while were close behind at a 26 percent growth. Margins moved up 60 basis points to 33.7 percent, by far the highest in any of its segments.
Starbucks is also advancing its K-Cup . Revenues were up 13 percent for the segment, while operating income climbed 24 percent on the back of a 230 basis-point increase in margins. This is sure to present a challenge for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters ( has been on a tear recently, and analysts are looking for $0.33 per share from the company. Dunkin has historically come in ahead of expectations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install