Is Starbucks Setting the Stage for 2013 Growth?
By Dan Ritter | January 26, 2013 2:16 AM EST
Starbucks ( grew 14 percent to $0.57 per share, sharpened by a 40 basis-point increase in operating margins to 16.6 percent.
“Starbucks’ strong performance in Q1 demonstrates the strength, and unique resilience, of our increasingly global , and the power and growing relevance of the Starbucks brand to consumers and communities all around the world,” chief executive Howard Schultz said in tumbled below $45 before eventually recovering to about $55. In general, though, analysts remain very bullish on the stock partly because of the company’s ability to grow quickly and effectively.
Same-store sales grew 7 percent in the United States and 6 percent globally. This included 11 percent comparable growth in China/Asia Pacific, which are arguably regions with the greatest growth opportunities. Starbucks opened 125 stores in China/Asia Pacific in the quarter, four more than last year.
Same-region revenues grew 28 percent, while were close behind at a 26 percent growth. Margins moved up 60 basis points to 33.7 percent, by far the highest in any of its segments.
Starbucks is also advancing its K-Cup . Revenues were up 13 percent for the segment, while operating income climbed 24 percent on the back of a 230 basis-point increase in margins. This is sure to present a challenge for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters ( has been on a tear recently, and analysts are looking for $0.33 per share from the company. Dunkin has historically come in ahead of expectations.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu