Is Starbucks Setting the Stage for 2013 Growth?
By Dan Ritter | January 26, 2013 2:16 AM EST
Starbucks ( grew 14 percent to $0.57 per share, sharpened by a 40 basis-point increase in operating margins to 16.6 percent.
“Starbucks’ strong performance in Q1 demonstrates the strength, and unique resilience, of our increasingly global , and the power and growing relevance of the Starbucks brand to consumers and communities all around the world,” chief executive Howard Schultz said in tumbled below $45 before eventually recovering to about $55. In general, though, analysts remain very bullish on the stock partly because of the company’s ability to grow quickly and effectively.
Same-store sales grew 7 percent in the United States and 6 percent globally. This included 11 percent comparable growth in China/Asia Pacific, which are arguably regions with the greatest growth opportunities. Starbucks opened 125 stores in China/Asia Pacific in the quarter, four more than last year.
Same-region revenues grew 28 percent, while were close behind at a 26 percent growth. Margins moved up 60 basis points to 33.7 percent, by far the highest in any of its segments.
Starbucks is also advancing its K-Cup . Revenues were up 13 percent for the segment, while operating income climbed 24 percent on the back of a 230 basis-point increase in margins. This is sure to present a challenge for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters ( has been on a tear recently, and analysts are looking for $0.33 per share from the company. Dunkin has historically come in ahead of expectations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date