Wenger Wants January Transfer Window Overhaul
By Vanessa Keller | January 26, 2013 1:40 AM EST
Arsene Wenger says he wants an overhaul of the January transfer window, with the Arsenal manager calling for a limit of players that a club can purchase throughout the month.
And as Wenger admitted that Arsenal are unlikely to sign any more players in the window, the Frenchman stressed his disapproval of transfers in the middle of the season in general, saying he'd prefer an overhaul of the system.
"I think it should be all completely cut out or limited to two players," he said, as reported in the Mirror.
"Because it is unfair for the league that some teams who have played for example now twice Newcastle already have an advantage on teams who play Newcastle now they have bought six or seven players.
"You do not face exactly the same team so I believe the number of players you could buy should be limited.
"It is unfair for the league because some teams who have played Newcastle twice already have an advantage on teams who play against Newcastle now when they have bought six or seven players. they do not face the same team. I believe the number of players you can buy should be limited."
Wenger has a history of not being successful with his January buys, with the market often being overpriced and clubs unlikely to let go of important players midway through the season.
This month Arsenal have been connected to a host of players, including David Villa, Mats Hummels and Mohamed Diame.
But Wenger insisted today that he is not interested in any of the trio, and would rather concentrate on making sure his current squad are fit and ready for the rest of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People