Wenger Wants January Transfer Window Overhaul
By Vanessa Keller | January 26, 2013 1:40 AM EST
Arsene Wenger says he wants an overhaul of the January transfer window, with the Arsenal manager calling for a limit of players that a club can purchase throughout the month.
And as Wenger admitted that Arsenal are unlikely to sign any more players in the window, the Frenchman stressed his disapproval of transfers in the middle of the season in general, saying he'd prefer an overhaul of the system.
"I think it should be all completely cut out or limited to two players," he said, as reported in the Mirror.
"Because it is unfair for the league that some teams who have played for example now twice Newcastle already have an advantage on teams who play Newcastle now they have bought six or seven players.
"You do not face exactly the same team so I believe the number of players you could buy should be limited.
"It is unfair for the league because some teams who have played Newcastle twice already have an advantage on teams who play against Newcastle now when they have bought six or seven players. they do not face the same team. I believe the number of players you can buy should be limited."
Wenger has a history of not being successful with his January buys, with the market often being overpriced and clubs unlikely to let go of important players midway through the season.
This month Arsenal have been connected to a host of players, including David Villa, Mats Hummels and Mohamed Diame.
But Wenger insisted today that he is not interested in any of the trio, and would rather concentrate on making sure his current squad are fit and ready for the rest of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans