Ireland Toddler Murder: Barry McCarney Jailed for Sadistic Sexual Assault
By Hannah Osborne | January 26, 2013 1:09 AM EST
Barry McCarney has been jailed for 25 years for the murder of 15-month-old toddler Millie Martin in 2009.
The judge at Belfast Crown Court told McCartney, 33, that he was deeply manipulative and was devoid of social norms.
He killed the toddler at the Enniskillen home of Rachael Martion, Millie's mother. She was found innocent of allowing her daughter's death through wilful neglect last year.
McCarney took the child to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children unconscious. She had suffered a fatal head injury and had 21 rib fractures. She also had injuries from being sexually abused.
Mr Justice Ben Stephens said McCarney had carried out a "sadistic sexual assault" on Millie and that her head injury was a spontaneous response to the child crying out in pain.
The judge said Millie's death was not a result of a child trying an adults patience - he said she had been quietly lying in her cot when McCarney attacked her.
He was found guilty of her murder, grievous bodily harm with intent and sexual assault at Dungannon Crown Court last month. The jury took just three hours to find him guilty of all counts.
After the verdict, Mr Justice Stephens told him: "This despicable crime is almost beyond understanding.
"This jury has clearly understood and you, for your part, should understand this simple message - you are going to prison for a very long time."
McCarney had denied the charges and did not speak throughout the 10-week trial, even to testify.
His father, Kevin, said they would be appealing against the conviction.
Martion, who was in a relationship with McCarney when he killed her daughter, said the 25 year sentence was not long enough.
During the trial, the court heard how McCarney had abused Millie in the weeks before her death.
The judge said the family had been caused palpable anguish and, because McCarney has always maintained his innocence, did not even have the consolation of an explanation or signs of remorse.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS