Skipper Harbours No Regrets Over Staying Loyal To Liverpool
By Vanessa Keller | January 26, 2013 12:19 AM EST
Steven Gerrard has thanked the Liverpool fans who have supported the captain throughout his career, as he continues to star for the club and contribute to their rise back to success.
Gerrard is a rare one club man, having played for Liverpool for the majority of his life.
And while the 32 year old is still an integral part of the senior squad, 14 years after moving up from the youth team, Gerrard says he still feels proud to wear the Reds' badge.
"It is the club I have supported since I was a boy and I'm in such a privileged position to captain the team," he told Sky Sports. "A lot of people talk about my loyalty to Liverpool but what rarely gets mentioned is Liverpool's loyalty to me.
"I've been there since I was eight and the contracts kept coming, the love kept coming, they have always supported me on and off the pitch.
"A football career is like a roller coaster, it is up and down and you learn from your mistakes on and off the pitch.
"But no matter what I have done I've always had fantastic people around me at the club. I think Liverpool deserve a big thank you from myself for the loyalty they have shown to me."
Gerrard also revealed that a move to Chelsea was very close to happening, with the captain insisting he has no regrets about staying at Liverpool.
"It [a move to Chelsea] was very close but I have no regrets and am absolutely delighted I stayed loyal to Liverpool," he said.
Gerrard is no doubt an important leader for a side that currently boasts a lot of youth as it undergoes a rebuilding process.
The England international was consulted over the hiring of Brendan Rodgers, and believes that the side have a serious chance at making the top four again this season and qualifying for the Champions League.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery