Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer to Enter Australian Open Final
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 11:50 PM EST
British tennis player Andy Murray, who defeated Roger Federer to clinch gold at the 2012 London Olympics, beat the World No.2 again in a five-setter thriller on Friday to enter Australian Open final.
The 25-year-old U.S. Open Champion defeated Federer 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, 6-7, 6-2 in the Australian Open semi-final.
Murray, who defeated Jeremy Chardy in straights 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-final to script a clash with Federer in the semi-final, outplayed the Swiss veteran on Friday.
It looked like Murray would pack off Federer in the fourth set itself but the latter used his experience to win the set in the tie breaker. The Swiss veteran was pushed to the backfoot from the very start, and the unforced errors he committed didn't help him.
Murray will now meet Novak Djokovic for the Australian Open title on Sunday.
The Serbian world number one defeated Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer 6-2 6-2 6-1 on Thursday.
In women's singles, Li Na of China will play defending champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in the Australian Open final.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who became the first player from China to win a Grand Slam in singles by winning 2011 French Open, defeated the much-favoured Russian 6-2, 6-2 in the semi-final, whereas Victoria Azarenka defeated defeated Sloane Stephens of America 6-1, 6-4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29