Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer to Enter Australian Open Final
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 11:50 PM EST
British tennis player Andy Murray, who defeated Roger Federer to clinch gold at the 2012 London Olympics, beat the World No.2 again in a five-setter thriller on Friday to enter Australian Open final.
The 25-year-old U.S. Open Champion defeated Federer 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, 6-7, 6-2 in the Australian Open semi-final.
Murray, who defeated Jeremy Chardy in straights 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-final to script a clash with Federer in the semi-final, outplayed the Swiss veteran on Friday.
It looked like Murray would pack off Federer in the fourth set itself but the latter used his experience to win the set in the tie breaker. The Swiss veteran was pushed to the backfoot from the very start, and the unforced errors he committed didn't help him.
Murray will now meet Novak Djokovic for the Australian Open title on Sunday.
The Serbian world number one defeated Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer 6-2 6-2 6-1 on Thursday.
In women's singles, Li Na of China will play defending champion Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in the Australian Open final.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who became the first player from China to win a Grand Slam in singles by winning 2011 French Open, defeated the much-favoured Russian 6-2, 6-2 in the semi-final, whereas Victoria Azarenka defeated defeated Sloane Stephens of America 6-1, 6-4.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports