Banana Hurled on Pitch at AFC Wimbledon vs Port Vale Match
By Dominic Gover | January 25, 2013 11:27 PM EST
A pensioner was arrested after a banana was hurled on to a football pitch during a lower league match.
The incident summoned up uncomfortable memories of abuse of black players such as John Barnes and Laurie Cummingham at football matches during the 1970s and 80s.
But police said that Thursday's incident at the League Two clash between AFC Wimbledon and Port Vale was not racially motivated.
Hosts AFC Wimbledon surrendered a two-goal lead in the match after Jack Midson had put them in a strong position with his first-half brace. But promotion-chasing Valiants underlined their credentials by scoring twice to secure a point.
A 74-year-old was arrested and questioned before being released on bail. It is understood he was an AFC Wimbledon fan unhappy at what he was seeing at Kingsmeadow Stadium.
Football intelligence officer Sam Cunningham told This is Staffordshire: "We saw the banana thrown on to the pitch and then reviewed television coverage.
"It appears a supporter was angered by a decision by the referee and aimed a banana at him. It was not aimed anywhere near any player."
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A 74-year-old home supporter was subsequently arrested on suspicion of throwing an object on to the pitch before being bailed to return to a police station at a later date pending further inquiries.
"The incident is not believed to be racially motivated."
AFC Wimbledon was founded by fans of Wimbledon FC after the club was bought by Peter Winkelman and relocated to Milton Keynes, more than 50 miles away from south London.
The phoenix-like club enjoyed a swift rise up the non-league football pyramid and won promotion to League Two in 2011, only nine years after it was formed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS