Banana Hurled on Pitch at AFC Wimbledon vs Port Vale Match
By Dominic Gover | January 25, 2013 11:27 PM EST
A pensioner was arrested after a banana was hurled on to a football pitch during a lower league match.
The incident summoned up uncomfortable memories of abuse of black players such as John Barnes and Laurie Cummingham at football matches during the 1970s and 80s.
But police said that Thursday's incident at the League Two clash between AFC Wimbledon and Port Vale was not racially motivated.
Hosts AFC Wimbledon surrendered a two-goal lead in the match after Jack Midson had put them in a strong position with his first-half brace. But promotion-chasing Valiants underlined their credentials by scoring twice to secure a point.
A 74-year-old was arrested and questioned before being released on bail. It is understood he was an AFC Wimbledon fan unhappy at what he was seeing at Kingsmeadow Stadium.
Football intelligence officer Sam Cunningham told This is Staffordshire: "We saw the banana thrown on to the pitch and then reviewed television coverage.
"It appears a supporter was angered by a decision by the referee and aimed a banana at him. It was not aimed anywhere near any player."
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A 74-year-old home supporter was subsequently arrested on suspicion of throwing an object on to the pitch before being bailed to return to a police station at a later date pending further inquiries.
"The incident is not believed to be racially motivated."
AFC Wimbledon was founded by fans of Wimbledon FC after the club was bought by Peter Winkelman and relocated to Milton Keynes, more than 50 miles away from south London.
The phoenix-like club enjoyed a swift rise up the non-league football pyramid and won promotion to League Two in 2011, only nine years after it was formed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports