Mary Kom to Get Padma Bhushan; Rahul Dravid, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore in the List
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 10:37 PM EST
Veteran boxer MC Mary Kom, who made India proud by winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, has been reportedly finalized for the Padma Bhushan award, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
The five-time world champion hit the headlines last year after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia.
It is also reported that Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket last year after scoring more than 24,000 runs from 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, is being considered for the Padma Bhushan. Other personalities in the list are late actor Rajesh Khanna, actress Sharmila Tagore and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar.
Scientists Prof Yashpal and Roddam Narasimha have been reportedly selected for Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award, and actress Sridevi for Padma Shree.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine