Mary Kom to Get Padma Bhushan; Rahul Dravid, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore in the List
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 10:37 PM EST
Veteran boxer MC Mary Kom, who made India proud by winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, has been reportedly finalized for the Padma Bhushan award, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
The five-time world champion hit the headlines last year after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia.
It is also reported that Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket last year after scoring more than 24,000 runs from 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, is being considered for the Padma Bhushan. Other personalities in the list are late actor Rajesh Khanna, actress Sharmila Tagore and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar.
Scientists Prof Yashpal and Roddam Narasimha have been reportedly selected for Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award, and actress Sridevi for Padma Shree.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows