Mary Kom to Get Padma Bhushan; Rahul Dravid, Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore in the List
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 10:37 PM EST
Veteran boxer MC Mary Kom, who made India proud by winning a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics, has been reportedly finalized for the Padma Bhushan award, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
The five-time world champion hit the headlines last year after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia.
It is also reported that Rahul Dravid, who retired from international cricket last year after scoring more than 24,000 runs from 164 Tests and 344 ODIs, is being considered for the Padma Bhushan. Other personalities in the list are late actor Rajesh Khanna, actress Sharmila Tagore and two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar.
Scientists Prof Yashpal and Roddam Narasimha have been reportedly selected for Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award, and actress Sridevi for Padma Shree.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Man Prosecuted For Sexting Messages To 9 Women
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown