British economy heads towards "triple dip" recession
January 25, 2013 9:35 PM EST
A slump in North Sea oil production, lower factory output and a hangover from the London Olympics caused Britain's economy to shrink more than expected in late 2012, pushing it perilously close to a "triple-dip" recession.
The Office for National Statistics said on Friday that Britain's gross domestic product fell 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter - a sharper fall than the 0.1 percent decline expected by analysts. GDP grew by 0.9 percent between July and September.
Sterling fell to a five-month low against the dollar and to its lowest against the euro in over a year after the data.
"This is a very disappointing outturn," said Philip Shaw, economist at Investec. "Markets realize that figures can be revised ... but clearly now the talk will focus on whether we are in a triple-dip recession."
Britain's economy is now 3.3 percent smaller than its peak in Q1 2008, having recovered only about half the output lost during the financial crisis - a worse performance than other major economies. The country slipped back into recession in the last three months of 2011, and only emerged from it in the third quarter of 2012, after a boost from the London Olympics.
The biggest driver for the fourth-quarter fall in GDP was a 10.2 percent drop in mining and quarrying output.
(Editing by Jeremy Gaunt)
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air