German Business Confidence Rises for Third Straight Month
By Martin Baccardax | January 25, 2013 8:11 PM EST
German business confidence rose for the third consecutive month in January as the recovery prospects for Europe's largest continue to improve.
The Ifo Institute's key Business Climate Index, built from a survey of more than 7,000 senior executives, rose to 104.2 from a reading of 102.4 in December, well ahead of economists' forecasts and the third straight increase from the two-and-a-half year low it hit in October. The Institute's expectations index also increased to 100.5 from a revised 98 in December, while the index of current conditions hit 108, slightly higher than analysts' forecasts of 107.2.
The Institute's head economist, Klaus Wohlrabe, says the figures suggest busineses are beginning to feel the affects of an easing Eurozone debt crisis and that first-quarter GDP should advance by around 0.2 percent
The single currency rose to an 11-month high of $1.3434 against the US dollar and to 85.25 pence against the pound, the highest in more than 13 months, following the release. It advanced around 1 percent to 122.10 against the yen.
A reading of German investor confidence, released earlier this month by the Mannheim-based Centre for European Economic Research, rose to a near 2-year high of 31.5 while private data measuring manufacturing and services activity in suggested Europe's largest economy would recover at a significantly faster pace than its single currency partners.
The International Monetary Fund's World Economic Outlook hived its forecast for German and Eurozone growth for this year by 0.3 percent Wednesday, suggesting that Germany's modest 0.6 percent advance won't be enough to pull the bloc out of recession. The German government expects a 0.4 percent advance this year.
A Eurozone recovery, however, is expected for next year with 1 percent growth pegged by the Fund.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown