‘Vishwaroopam’ Controversy: Kamal Haasan’s Film Release Postponed in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
January 25, 2013 7:32 PM EST
Kamal Haasan's fans from Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh are in for another disappointment as his highly-anticipated film "Vishwaroopam" is unlikely to hit theatres there anytime soon.
After Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh will not get to see the spy thriller particularly on its scheduled day of release on Friday.
The decision came after the Madras High Court said that it would deliver its verdict on the film on Monday. On Wednesday, The Tamil Nadu government banned the release of the film for two weeks due to the controversy surrounding the content of the film.
A distributor of the film in Karnataka told The Hindu that a decision is not yet taken on the film's release. Distributors are still discussing on the issue and considering legal options.
"In the view of Id-e-Milad on Friday and Republic Day on Saturday, I don't want to take any chances," the distributor told The Hindu.
Theatre owners in Bangalore decided to cancel all shows of "Vishwaroopam" on Friday, ABP news reported.
Also, in Andhra Pradesh the film's release is postponed. State Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy has also asked to stop the release of the film.
On Friday, Reddy ordered police to stop the film's screening in Hyderabad and Cyberabad after some Muslim leaders demanded a ban on the film.
Authorities said that there were fears of law and order problems in the state due to Id-e-Milad festival on Friday. It is yet to be confirmed whether the film will release in other parts of the state.
"Vishwaroopam", directed and produced by Kamal Haasan, was hit by a string of controversies ever since he announced for a Direct-To-Home (DTH) release. With mutual consent from Tamil Nadu Theatre Owners Association (TNTOA) and Tamil Nadu Film Distributors Federation the film was supposed to release on Jan 25.
The film's makers recently found themselves in a spot when various Muslim organisations in TN demanded a ban on the release due to its content which portrayed their community in a negative way.
On Thursday, the Madras High Court postponed the release of the film till Jan 28 so that the judges can review the film on Saturday and deliver their verdict.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS