BSNL Axes One Lakh Jobs to Recover Profits; Offers Voluntary Retirement
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 7:31 PM EST
State-owned telecommunication company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) is reportedly planning to lay off one lakh employees to cut down costs.
According to Press Trust of India, BSNL is expecting to let go its employees by offering voluntary retirement. Besides the financial constraints of the company, over staffing and lack of skilled employees also forced the company to make the decision.
"Around 1 lakh people in BSNL are in excess of the requirement and the company wants these people to take voluntary retirement," said a top official of the company.
BSNL believes that by bringing down the number of employees it will recover a major share of its profit which is currently paid as salaries to the employees. It is said that 48 percent of the company's revenue went as salaries.
"If these people opt for VRS, the salary burden of the company will come down to 10-15 per cent, which is manageable," official said adding that "Over-staffing is one part which gets compounded by the fact that age is skewed. The average age is about 50 years. These people don't have the skills set that are required for a service provider."
BSNL was under constant pressure since 2004-05 when the revenue of the company started showing a steep decline. Its profit came down to ₹6,384 crore during the 2010-11 period from ₹10,183 crore due to the salary burden and funding for the 3G and BWA spectrum auction.
The company has also drafted a blue print to tap revenue of ₹8,000 crore through monetisation of its real estate. This includes "monetising of towers assets, utilisation of its factories for revenue generation, providing broadband connectivity to schools and leasing out its CDMA network," PTI reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports