Coromandel International Signs Agreement to Buy Liberty Phosphate Ltd
January 25, 2013 5:40 PM EST
Coromandel International (CORF.NS) said it has signed a definitive agreement to buy a controlling stake in fertiliser maker Liberty Phosphate Ltd (LIBP.BO) and two of its affiliates for up to 3.75 billion rupees to strengthen its soil nutrients business.
Coromandel will buy the founders' stake of 56.28 percent in Liberty Phosphate for 241 rupees a share. It has also made an open offer to public shareholders of Liberty Phosphate for an additional 26 percent at the same price, it said in a filing with the Bombay Stock Exchange.
The acquisition will raise Coromandel's single super phosphate (SSP) capacity to over one million tonnes from the present 130,000 tonnes, the company said in a separate statement.
Coromandel will also buy 100 percent equity in Liberty Urvarak Ltd and Tungabhadra Fertilizers & Chemicals Co through separate agreements, it said.
Single super phosphate or SSP is obtained through a chemical reaction between rock phosphate and sulphuric and is a cheaper alternative to the popular diammonium phosphate. It helps treat sulphur deficiency in soil and enhances yield of crops such as oil seeds, pulses, sugarcane, fruits and vegetables.
Liberty Phosphate and its affiliates clocked a combined net profit of 68 million rupees on sales of 6.45 billion rupees in the fiscal year 2011/12, Coromandel said, adding it would fund the acquisition through internal accruals.
Shares in Coromandel International were down 6.8 percent at 11:25 a.m. while Liberty Phosphate was up 3.45 percent.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues