Coromandel International Signs Agreement to Buy Liberty Phosphate Ltd
January 25, 2013 5:40 PM EST
Coromandel International (CORF.NS) said it has signed a definitive agreement to buy a controlling stake in fertiliser maker Liberty Phosphate Ltd (LIBP.BO) and two of its affiliates for up to 3.75 billion rupees to strengthen its soil nutrients business.
Coromandel will buy the founders' stake of 56.28 percent in Liberty Phosphate for 241 rupees a share. It has also made an open offer to public shareholders of Liberty Phosphate for an additional 26 percent at the same price, it said in a filing with the Bombay Stock Exchange.
The acquisition will raise Coromandel's single super phosphate (SSP) capacity to over one million tonnes from the present 130,000 tonnes, the company said in a separate statement.
Coromandel will also buy 100 percent equity in Liberty Urvarak Ltd and Tungabhadra Fertilizers & Chemicals Co through separate agreements, it said.
Single super phosphate or SSP is obtained through a chemical reaction between rock phosphate and sulphuric and is a cheaper alternative to the popular diammonium phosphate. It helps treat sulphur deficiency in soil and enhances yield of crops such as oil seeds, pulses, sugarcane, fruits and vegetables.
Liberty Phosphate and its affiliates clocked a combined net profit of 68 million rupees on sales of 6.45 billion rupees in the fiscal year 2011/12, Coromandel said, adding it would fund the acquisition through internal accruals.
Shares in Coromandel International were down 6.8 percent at 11:25 a.m. while Liberty Phosphate was up 3.45 percent.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop