Indian Stocks Advance in Early Trade on Friday
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 4:29 PM EST
Indian stock markets advanced in early trade on Friday, helped by gains in auto and consumer durable sector shares.
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.31 percent or 61.11 points to 19,942.41, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.19 percent or 11.35 points to 6,030.70.
Markets opened on a flat note, tracking mixed cues from Asian peers. Asian stock market were trading mixed on Friday as Chinese Shanghai declined 0.29 percent and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 0.39 percent. Japanese Nikkei surged more than 2 percent as the yen continued to decline against the greenback and weak inflation data raised hopes of further monetary stimulus.
Among the 13 sectoral indices in BSE, all sectors were trading in positive territory except realty and metal sectors. Auto and consumer durables sectors gained 0.68 percent and 0.60 percent, respectively, while, metal sector declined 0.16 percent.
Reliance Communications Ltd. (RCom) shares gained 1.69 percent after the Economic Times newspaper reported that Reliance Industries may buy a stake in RCom’s subsidiary Reliance Infratel in a complex deal that also includes leasing as many as 50,000 towers.
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. gained 0.5 percent after the company stock was upgraded to an “outperform” rating from an “underperform” rating at CLSA.
Among the other stocks, Suzlon Energy surged 4.43 percent and Tata Motors gained 2.95 percent while Ranbaxy Labs declined 1.85 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 937 advanced against 1092 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.26 percent to 6,866.20 and Smallcap Index rose 0.03 percent to 7,072.10. CNX midcap Index gained 0.32 percent and CNX IT rose 0.25 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements