Australia Day: Places to Visit, Where to Celebrate
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 3:58 PM EST
Since Australia is a multi-cultural country, it would not be surprising that Aussies would celebrate their national day in different ways. While Australia Day is Jan 26, since it is a Saturday, the country would observe it on Monday, Jan 28 which is a public holiday.
The day commemorates the establishment of the first settlement in 1788 in Port Jackson, now part of Sydney. On Jan 26, 1788, 11 ships that comprise the First Fleet from Great Britain docked at Port Jackson. The fleet was led by Captain Arthur Philip who established the Colony of New South Wales, the first penal colony in Australia.
Being a public holiday in the whole country, all schools and post offices are closed, some public transport services do not operate, but stores are often open.
Being summer, most Australians celebrate the day by having a picnic at a park, shopping, watching sports events or public fireworks displays like those at Lake Burley Griffin. Here is the video of the 2012 fireworks display.
Here are some places that Aussies could go to celebrate the country's 225th national day:
- Yass - Rotary Breakfast at Coronation Park, 7 a.m. Includes flag-raising, speech from Australia Day Ambassador Rev. Graham Long, presentation of shire's Australia Day Awards and citizenship ceremony.
- Murrumbateman - Breakfast at Jones Park, 7:30 a.m., sponsored by the Lions Club, followed by the grand opening of the Murrumbateman Farmers Market. Other activities include tennis coaching tips, balloon artist performance, karate display, busking and face painting.
- Blackburn - Opens 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The garden is a favourite picnic destination.
- Wee Jasper - The Wee Jaspers and Billy Grace campers will battle on the cricket pitch for the Billy Grace Garry Anderson Memorial Trophy as part of the Australian Day Cricket Match. Game starts 9:30 a.m.
- Gunning - Australia Day presentations to be made at the breakfast in Barbour Park on Saturday, 8 a.m. The Lions Club of Gunning will cater at $6 per head or $10 per family.
- Salt - Ping pong, live music, food and drinks special at the Saltbar Beachbar and Bistro, Kingscliff.
- Kingscliff - Flag-raising, BBG breakfast and entertainment at Lions Park Marine Pde.
- Tumbulgum - BBQ breakfast, flag-raising, awards for local residents, entertainment, display by Rodders, cricket, tennis and novelty events.
- Tyalgum - Features the traditional parade at the Norco Park, cricket match at Bruce Bartrim Oval and Tyalgum Cup Cycle Race in front of Tyalgum Store at 2 p.m.
Those who opt to celebrate the day with family or friends in an unstructured way may opt to head for the beach, but revelers are advised to go outdoors early because of the possibility of showers and thunderstorm strike in the afternoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE maincat_id='2' AND outkey='Y' AND tid> ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 15Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT article_id as num FROM ib_categories_index WHERE tid=2 ORDER BY article_id DESC LIMIT 5
Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE (maincat_id='1' OR maincat_id='2' OR maincat_id='6' OR maincat_id='7' OR maincat_id='9' OR maincat_id='24') AND local_id='0' AND typology_id<'11' AND tid> AND outkey_all='Y' ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 17Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT * FROM table_info WHERE table_name='ib_articles' LIMIT 1Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT id as num FROM ib_articles ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 5