Queensland Gets Flooded, 20 Rescued
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 25, 2013 3:40 PM EST
Rainfall poured down by ex-tropical cyclone Oswald has brought flowing to the eastern state of Queensland, Australia, where so far 20 have been rescued.
The Bureau of Meteorology has warned the state it faces a 75 per cent chance of major flooding this weekend, from along the coast from the Queensland border to Taree.
Ex-tropical cyclone Oswald poured enormous rainfall around the coastal city of Rockhampton, prompting authorities to conduct 20 water rescue cases across central Queensland overnight and early Friday alone. The rescue efforts included a woman and two children trapped in a car isolated by flood waters, seven people plucked from two flooded homes, as well as a teenage boy.
The 14-year old boy was found early on Friday clinging for his life to a tree as muddy floodwaters surged around him at Frenchville, some 525 kilometres (325 miles) northwest of Brisbane.
Bill Ludwig, Rockhampton councilor, advised residents to stay off the streets and to keep warm.
"They're saying this is not a cyclone but it's not far off it," he said.
Ex-tropical cyclone Oswald, now about 120 kilometres west of Mackay, with the amount of rainfall it has dumped, has left many towns isolated because the severe flooding has cut many roads off. It is expected to continue giving off heavy rains as it moves south over the weekend.
Rainfalls predicted for some areas could come in at more than 400mm, along with damaging winds of around 90kph.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet