Asian Stocks Mixed but Nikkei Soars on Weak Yen
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | January 25, 2013 3:37 PM EST
Asian markets traded mixed in the morning but the Japanese stocks surged as the yen hit fresh lows against the dollar and weak inflation figures triggered further stimulus hopes.
The Nikkei was up 2.07 percent or 220.29 points to 10841.16 while South Korea's KOSPI was down 1.15 percent or 22.58 points to 1941.90. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.42 percent or 20.00 points to 4830.20.
In China, the Shanghai Composite Index slipped 0.11 percent or 2.54 points to 2300.06. Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 0.26 percent or 60.74 points to 23538.16.
The yen continued to dip against the dollar on fresh monetary aid hopes after the December consumer price index showed that inflation levels continued to remain weak. Stubborn deflation rates have been a constant cause of concern for Japan in the recent years, prompting the newly elected Japanese government to demand central bank action. Early this week, Bank of Japan had doubled its inflation goal to 2 percent and adopted open ended asset purchasing to achieve it.
The greenback climbed 90.695 yen early in the day, its highest level since June 2010 while the euro firmed to 121.32 yen, the most since April 2011, helping currency-sensitive stocks higher in Tokyo. Japan's trade balance figures released in the previous day had shown that exports fell in December, partly due to local currency's strength. Traders remain optimistic that the yen will retain the recent weak note as the government promises strong measures.
Investors were also positive on the upbeat manufacturing figures released across the globe in the previous sessions. After HSBC's preliminary reading of Chinese manufacturing sector showed improvement in January, European and US data too pointed to a better outlook. The number of US weekly jobless claims too fell, indicating a progressing labour market.
Samsung's fourth-quarter earnings remained the major focus in Seoul. The technology major, which accounts for a significant portion of the benchmark index, reported a better-than-estimated 76 percent surge in profits, supported by strong mobile handset sales in China. Earlier this week, the company rival Apple's earnings had disappointed the markets.
South Korean market has been the region's worst performance this year, with the benchmark KOSPI slipping about 2.5 percent so far, partly due to the improved outlook for the Japanese export industry. Japanese stocks have gained about 4.3 percent in the year to date.
Electronic stocks traded higher in Tokyo. Sony Corp was up 6.22 percent while Toshiba Corp gained 5.26 percent. Shares of Konica Minolta Holdings added 3.62 percent.
Some of the major commodity stocks traded lower in Hong Kong. Shares of Aluminum Corp of China was down 1.79 percent while PetroChina slipped 1.08 percent.
Exporters were down in Seoul. Samsung fell 2.34 percent despite positive earnings, automobile majors Hyundai and Kia dropped 3.61 and 4.97 percent respectively.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’