Presidential Daughter Isabel dos Santos Is the Gina Rinehart of Angola
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 2:42 PM EST
If Gina Rinehart is Australia's richest person, and once the world's richest woman, her counterpart in Angola is Isabel dos Santos, the daughter of the country's president, Jose Eduardo dos Santos. Forbes reported on Wednesday that Ms dos Santos's wealth breached the one billionth mark, making her Angola's first woman billionaire.
Like Ms Rinehart, Ms dos Santos owns significant shares in several companies including a bank and cable TV.
She has 19.5 per cent stake in BPI, a Portuguese bank which is the largest trader on Angola's stock exchange. Her holding is worth $465 million. The 40-year-old presidential daughter also has a 25 per cent stake in BIC, an Angolan bank, with an estimated value of $160 million.
Ms dos Santos is the majority shareholder in ZON Multimedia, Portugal's largest cable TV company, holding 28.8 per cent stake through two other companies, Kento and Jadeium, plus another 25 per cent share in Unitel, an Angolan telecom firm.
She is the eldest daughter of the Angolan president by his first wife, Tatiana Kukanova, although they are divorced. She grew up in London and studied mechanical and electrical engineering at King's College.
Ms dos Santos's first enterprise was a restaurant in Luanda named Miami Beach, which she opened when she was 24. She married in 2003 Sindika Dokolo from Congo, scion of a millionaire from Kinshasha. Their wedding had 1,000 guests and cost $4 million.
Her father became Angola's president in 1979. While Angola is the second-largest oil producer in Africa, Angolans are among the poorest in the world where residents survive on less than $2 a day.
The dos Santos family has an estimated wealth of $2 billion, which pales in comparison to Ms Rinehart's $22 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date