Presidential Daughter Isabel dos Santos Is the Gina Rinehart of Angola
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 2:42 PM EST
If Gina Rinehart is Australia's richest person, and once the world's richest woman, her counterpart in Angola is Isabel dos Santos, the daughter of the country's president, Jose Eduardo dos Santos. Forbes reported on Wednesday that Ms dos Santos's wealth breached the one billionth mark, making her Angola's first woman billionaire.
Like Ms Rinehart, Ms dos Santos owns significant shares in several companies including a bank and cable TV.
She has 19.5 per cent stake in BPI, a Portuguese bank which is the largest trader on Angola's stock exchange. Her holding is worth $465 million. The 40-year-old presidential daughter also has a 25 per cent stake in BIC, an Angolan bank, with an estimated value of $160 million.
Ms dos Santos is the majority shareholder in ZON Multimedia, Portugal's largest cable TV company, holding 28.8 per cent stake through two other companies, Kento and Jadeium, plus another 25 per cent share in Unitel, an Angolan telecom firm.
She is the eldest daughter of the Angolan president by his first wife, Tatiana Kukanova, although they are divorced. She grew up in London and studied mechanical and electrical engineering at King's College.
Ms dos Santos's first enterprise was a restaurant in Luanda named Miami Beach, which she opened when she was 24. She married in 2003 Sindika Dokolo from Congo, scion of a millionaire from Kinshasha. Their wedding had 1,000 guests and cost $4 million.
Her father became Angola's president in 1979. While Angola is the second-largest oil producer in Africa, Angolans are among the poorest in the world where residents survive on less than $2 a day.
The dos Santos family has an estimated wealth of $2 billion, which pales in comparison to Ms Rinehart's $22 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports