eBay Pulls Out Django Unchained Toys
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 25, 2013 1:44 PM EST
Virtual marketplace eBay has pulled out from its shelves the controversial 'Django Unchained' toys after the Weinstein Company, the film's producer and likewise facilitated the creation of the toys, discontinued making them following complaints and criticisms from various African-American advocacy groups.
"Since the manufacturer of this product has discontinued the item's sale due to its potentially offensive nature, we are not allowing it to be sold on eBay," TMZ quoted eBay as saying to sellers in an email, explaining the need to pull out the toys from the Web site.
The online auction giant likewise cautioned sellers that re-listing the banned items for sale is strictly prohibited.
"These toys were removed as they were in violation of our Offensive Materials policy," TMZ quoted an unidentified representative from the auction website.
Producer Weinstein Company, hoping to cash in on the popularity of the 'Django Unchained' film which starred Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L Jackson, manufactured a line of action toys to be sold as promotional figurines. The dolls are basically representations of the characters played by the actors.
But advocacy groups such as Al Sharpton's National Action Network and Project Islamic Hope immediately slammed the toy project on racism issues as well as too much violence.
"We have tremendous respect for the audience and it was never our intent to offend anyone," the film company said in a statement, noting the action figures were intended for people over the age of 17.
Weinstein Company was only able to facilitate the release of about 1,000 pieces of the toys before the sale was abruptly halted. The development prompted eBay sellers to list the item as "rare collectible." Before eBay put its foot down, bids for the toys reached to as high as $200 a piece.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28