Japan wants Nissan-NEC venture to take on Sony battery operations: media
January 25, 2013 11:42 AM EST
A state-backed fund wants a venture owned by Nissan Motor Co Ltd and NEC Corp to merge with Sony Corp's lithium ion battery operations to prevent rivals in China and Taiwan from capturing key technologies, the Yomiuri newspaper said on Friday.
Sony, which is hurrying to offload noncore operations, makes lithium ion power packs for tablets, PCs and mobile phones. Sony values the unit - which has three factories in Japan and two overseas assembly plants - at 52 billion yen ($580 million).
The Yomiuri said Japan's Innovation Network Corp of Japan is encouraging the Nissan-NEC venture, Automotive Energy Supply Corporation, to buy a majority stake in Sony's battery unit.
The state-backed fund has also offered to invest in the merged firm but is also looking for other domestic buyers in case talks fall through, the paper said, citing sources familiar with the matter.
($1 = 90.0000 Japanese yen)
(Reporting by Mayumi Negishi; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan