Google Now Available on Android 4.0 ICS
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Google Now is software that acts as an intelligent personal assistant and is the counterpart of the iOS' Siri. It is capable of various tasks such as answering questions, making recommendations, performing actions for web services, and displaying cards in Gmail with information about flight, package tracking, and hotel and restaurant reservations.
However, not all Android versions have this great assistant available. For now, only Android 4.1 and 4.2 Jellybean owners enjoy the privilege to have the Google Now assistance. And because of this, developers made something for users with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to utilise the technology.
GNow Handlebars is the app which offers the simplest way for ICS devices to have the Google Now feature. Here is the guide from the xda developer's site.
GNow Handlebars - Purpose
The first application that can download, install, or remove Google Now and restore Google Search to your device without the need of flashing zips or manually adding and manipulating the files.
1. Rooted device - Find the respective rooting program for the target device.
2. Ice Cream Sandwich - Make sure that you are installing this with a device running Android 4.0 at least.
3. Deodexed ROM - One way to find out is use a Root Explorer app and navigate to "/system/app" and check if an ".odex" extension file exists. If yes, the ROM is odex; otherwise, the ROM is Deodexed.
1. Back up everything including the ROM itself by making a Nandroid Back Up, so that if something goes wrong, you can restore it back to normal.
2. CWM recovery for any recoveries you might need.
1. Before installing Google Now, check if voicesearch.apk is installed, if so, rename to voicesearch.apk.bak
2. Open the installer
3. Make a choice either "a" or "b" but not both.
4. Install Google Now. Choose the apk.
5. Restore the Google Search by renaming it from "voicesearch.apk.bak" to "voiceseach.apk"
For the original thread post of the Google Now ICS, click here now.
Removal of the Google Now for ICS in case of any problems disliked, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Fairfax Chief Executive Greg Hywood Reiterates Commitment to Radio; No Merger With Macquarie Radio
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June