Google Now Available on Android 4.0 ICS
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Google Now is software that acts as an intelligent personal assistant and is the counterpart of the iOS' Siri. It is capable of various tasks such as answering questions, making recommendations, performing actions for web services, and displaying cards in Gmail with information about flight, package tracking, and hotel and restaurant reservations.
However, not all Android versions have this great assistant available. For now, only Android 4.1 and 4.2 Jellybean owners enjoy the privilege to have the Google Now assistance. And because of this, developers made something for users with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to utilise the technology.
GNow Handlebars is the app which offers the simplest way for ICS devices to have the Google Now feature. Here is the guide from the xda developer's site.
GNow Handlebars - Purpose
The first application that can download, install, or remove Google Now and restore Google Search to your device without the need of flashing zips or manually adding and manipulating the files.
1. Rooted device - Find the respective rooting program for the target device.
2. Ice Cream Sandwich - Make sure that you are installing this with a device running Android 4.0 at least.
3. Deodexed ROM - One way to find out is use a Root Explorer app and navigate to "/system/app" and check if an ".odex" extension file exists. If yes, the ROM is odex; otherwise, the ROM is Deodexed.
1. Back up everything including the ROM itself by making a Nandroid Back Up, so that if something goes wrong, you can restore it back to normal.
2. CWM recovery for any recoveries you might need.
1. Before installing Google Now, check if voicesearch.apk is installed, if so, rename to voicesearch.apk.bak
2. Open the installer
3. Make a choice either "a" or "b" but not both.
4. Install Google Now. Choose the apk.
5. Restore the Google Search by renaming it from "voicesearch.apk.bak" to "voiceseach.apk"
For the original thread post of the Google Now ICS, click here now.
Removal of the Google Now for ICS in case of any problems disliked, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James