Google Now Available on Android 4.0 ICS
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Google Now is software that acts as an intelligent personal assistant and is the counterpart of the iOS' Siri. It is capable of various tasks such as answering questions, making recommendations, performing actions for web services, and displaying cards in Gmail with information about flight, package tracking, and hotel and restaurant reservations.
However, not all Android versions have this great assistant available. For now, only Android 4.1 and 4.2 Jellybean owners enjoy the privilege to have the Google Now assistance. And because of this, developers made something for users with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to utilise the technology.
GNow Handlebars is the app which offers the simplest way for ICS devices to have the Google Now feature. Here is the guide from the xda developer's site.
GNow Handlebars - Purpose
The first application that can download, install, or remove Google Now and restore Google Search to your device without the need of flashing zips or manually adding and manipulating the files.
1. Rooted device - Find the respective rooting program for the target device.
2. Ice Cream Sandwich - Make sure that you are installing this with a device running Android 4.0 at least.
3. Deodexed ROM - One way to find out is use a Root Explorer app and navigate to "/system/app" and check if an ".odex" extension file exists. If yes, the ROM is odex; otherwise, the ROM is Deodexed.
1. Back up everything including the ROM itself by making a Nandroid Back Up, so that if something goes wrong, you can restore it back to normal.
2. CWM recovery for any recoveries you might need.
1. Before installing Google Now, check if voicesearch.apk is installed, if so, rename to voicesearch.apk.bak
2. Open the installer
3. Make a choice either "a" or "b" but not both.
4. Install Google Now. Choose the apk.
5. Restore the Google Search by renaming it from "voicesearch.apk.bak" to "voiceseach.apk"
For the original thread post of the Google Now ICS, click here now.
Removal of the Google Now for ICS in case of any problems disliked, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How