Aussie Open Semi-finals: Murray vs Federer Set for Record Plays [Watch it Here: Livestream Link]
By Gilda Galang | January 25, 2013 11:02 AM EST
Today is a historic match between Andy Murray and Roger Federer as they go head-to-head at the semifinals of the Australia Open.
The last time the two players butted heads and rackets was in the 2012 London Olympics, where Murray took home the major title that the 17-time Grand Slam Champion had longed to win.
Throughout the Australian Open, both men have worked hard to get to their deciding match. However, Murray's last match, though a stunning 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 win, was against unseeded Jérémy Chardy, reports The New York Times.
All the while Federer had been getting creative and strategic to defeat No. 7 veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. In the end, Federer conquered the game with five sets and five match points, gearing him up to get the title from his Scot competition.
However, Murray's US Open and Olympic gold medal last year were no easy wins, which may be the deciding factor for his semi-final round.
In numbers, Federer may seem like the better champion when comparing his 17 Grand Slams to Murrays' one-time win. But both players seem on equal footing reports BBC, with Murray's consistent play and Federer's newfound confidence after all the wins in hi matches.
The Men's Singles semifinals round will be held at Melbourne Park at 8:30 GMT. Get updates on the game right here at IBTimes Australia.
Where to watch: The second men's semifinal gets underway at 3.30 a.m. ET. Coverage will be provided by ESPN. With a live stream available on ESPN3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage