Aussie Open Semi-finals: Murray vs Federer Set for Record Plays [Watch it Here: Livestream Link]
By Gilda Galang | January 25, 2013 11:02 AM EST
Today is a historic match between Andy Murray and Roger Federer as they go head-to-head at the semifinals of the Australia Open.
The last time the two players butted heads and rackets was in the 2012 London Olympics, where Murray took home the major title that the 17-time Grand Slam Champion had longed to win.
Throughout the Australian Open, both men have worked hard to get to their deciding match. However, Murray's last match, though a stunning 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 win, was against unseeded Jérémy Chardy, reports The New York Times.
All the while Federer had been getting creative and strategic to defeat No. 7 veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. In the end, Federer conquered the game with five sets and five match points, gearing him up to get the title from his Scot competition.
However, Murray's US Open and Olympic gold medal last year were no easy wins, which may be the deciding factor for his semi-final round.
In numbers, Federer may seem like the better champion when comparing his 17 Grand Slams to Murrays' one-time win. But both players seem on equal footing reports BBC, with Murray's consistent play and Federer's newfound confidence after all the wins in hi matches.
The Men's Singles semifinals round will be held at Melbourne Park at 8:30 GMT. Get updates on the game right here at IBTimes Australia.
Where to watch: The second men's semifinal gets underway at 3.30 a.m. ET. Coverage will be provided by ESPN. With a live stream available on ESPN3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet