Like other famous athletes of this generation, eight-division boxing title holder Manny Pacquiao loves expensive and latest-model sports car. Reports indicate that he has a collection of these toys for the big boys, mostly purchased in California during his major fights.
His latest acquisition in October 2011 was a brand-new gray Ferrari 458 Italia which he bought before he fought Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez. That model has a price tag of $225,000. It was an early Christmas gift for himself, the Filipino boxing champion was quoted as saying.
Other Pacquiao cars include a Porsche Cayenne, Lincoln Navigator, Escalade and Mercedes Benz, plus other SUVs and sedans that his staff and family use.
Ferrari 458 Italia
This model replaced the Ferrari D340, using technology from the Italian carmaker's Formula 1 experience. The company rolled out the 458 model at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show.
A 4.5L V8 engine powers the Ferrari 458 Italia which can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in under 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 325 km/h and fuel consumption of 21.2 mpg.
This sports car gave the boxing champ some headache when he imported it from the U.S. in 2006 because of alleged customs duty underpayment, but it turned out that the problem was caused by his broker.
The Cayenne, a five-seat mid-size luxury crossover, is made by German carmaker Porsche and has a V8 engine that uses direct injection technology. The Cayenne accelerates from 0 to 60 mphs in 7.5 seconds with manual transmission and 8.1 seconds with the Tiptronic S.
The average resale value of a 2006 Porsche Cayenne now is $31,171.
Ford Motor built the Lincoln Navigator, a full-size luxury SUV, for its luxury division. It has similar platform, mechanical features and other equipment with the Ford Expedition. When the model was introduced in 1998, the suggested retail price of the Lincoln Navigator was more than $42,000. The current model sells for $57,875 (SRP).
Like the Lincoln Navigator, the Cadillac Escalade is a full-size luxury SUV. It is manufactured by General Motors for its luxury brand, Cadillac, and was released in response to SUV releases of German and Japanese competitors as well as Ford's 1998 roll out of the Lincoln Navigator. The 2013 model has a price range from $63,170 to $78,400.
Manny also has a Mercedes Benz, which was number one on the list of sports cars favoured by top athletes. Here's the rundown of the top 5 and some of their famous owners.
1. Mercedes Benz - Olympic swimming medalist Michael Phelps goes around using an MBZ SL63 model, while basketball star LeBron James drives an SG3 AMG model.
2. Bentley - Among the owners of Bentleys is top soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.
3. Range Rover - Top-seeded Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova owns a Land Rover and is the endorser of the vehicle since she was 18. Other users include teenage pro skateboarder Ryan Scheckler and golfer Greg Norman.
4. Maserati Gran Turismo - Known owners of this sports car include Shawn Marion of the Dallas Mavericks, football player Clinton Portis and baseball player Kenshin Kawakami.
5. Ford F-150 - The known athlete-owners of this luxury sedan include UFC fighter Cain Velasquez and baseball star Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Models' Ramp Walk Aired on Tuesday [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Bold, Sexy and Sensuous Lingerie Fashion [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]