Speed Trip: Top Athletes, Manny Pacquiao’s Favourite Sports Cars (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 25, 2013 10:27 AM EST
Like other famous athletes of this generation, eight-division boxing title holder Manny Pacquiao loves expensive and latest-model sports car. Reports indicate that he has a collection of these toys for the big boys, mostly purchased in California during his major fights.
His latest acquisition in October 2011 was a brand-new gray Ferrari 458 Italia which he bought before he fought Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez. That model has a price tag of $225,000. It was an early Christmas gift for himself, the Filipino boxing champion was quoted as saying.
Other Pacquiao cars include a Porsche Cayenne, Lincoln Navigator, Escalade and Mercedes Benz, plus other SUVs and sedans that his staff and family use.
Ferrari 458 Italia
This model replaced the Ferrari D340, using technology from the Italian carmaker's Formula 1 experience. The company rolled out the 458 model at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show.
A 4.5L V8 engine powers the Ferrari 458 Italia which can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in under 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 325 km/h and fuel consumption of 21.2 mpg.
This sports car gave the boxing champ some headache when he imported it from the U.S. in 2006 because of alleged customs duty underpayment, but it turned out that the problem was caused by his broker.
The Cayenne, a five-seat mid-size luxury crossover, is made by German carmaker Porsche and has a V8 engine that uses direct injection technology. The Cayenne accelerates from 0 to 60 mphs in 7.5 seconds with manual transmission and 8.1 seconds with the Tiptronic S.
The average resale value of a 2006 Porsche Cayenne now is $31,171.
Ford Motor built the Lincoln Navigator, a full-size luxury SUV, for its luxury division. It has similar platform, mechanical features and other equipment with the Ford Expedition. When the model was introduced in 1998, the suggested retail price of the Lincoln Navigator was more than $42,000. The current model sells for $57,875 (SRP).
Like the Lincoln Navigator, the Cadillac Escalade is a full-size luxury SUV. It is manufactured by General Motors for its luxury brand, Cadillac, and was released in response to SUV releases of German and Japanese competitors as well as Ford's 1998 roll out of the Lincoln Navigator. The 2013 model has a price range from $63,170 to $78,400.
Manny also has a Mercedes Benz, which was number one on the list of sports cars favoured by top athletes. Here's the rundown of the top 5 and some of their famous owners.
1. Mercedes Benz - Olympic swimming medalist Michael Phelps goes around using an MBZ SL63 model, while basketball star LeBron James drives an SG3 AMG model.
2. Bentley - Among the owners of Bentleys is top soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.
3. Range Rover - Top-seeded Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova owns a Land Rover and is the endorser of the vehicle since she was 18. Other users include teenage pro skateboarder Ryan Scheckler and golfer Greg Norman.
4. Maserati Gran Turismo - Known owners of this sports car include Shawn Marion of the Dallas Mavericks, football player Clinton Portis and baseball player Kenshin Kawakami.
5. Ford F-150 - The known athlete-owners of this luxury sedan include UFC fighter Cain Velasquez and baseball star Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet