Liverpool Transfer News: Coutinho, Valdes, Butland And Lee Involved In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | January 25, 2013 8:45 AM EST
Liverpool have increased their bid for Internazionale attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho, but risk missing out on the Brazilian’s signature to Southampton, according to the Independent.
The story states that Liverpool have improved their initial £6 million bid for the 20-year-old to £8 million. While that may well be tempting to Inter, who are looking to cut costs, Southampton have reportedly trumped Liverpool’s offer with a bid of £10 million.
On paper it would seem that Coutinho would push for a move to Liverpool, but Southampton will be aided in their pursuit by the fact that their new boss Mauricio Pochettino managed Coutinho at Espanyol during a loan spell last season.
Liverpool may also be exploring alternatives with Liverpool linked with a move for Bolton Wanderers winger Chung-yong Lee. Sky Sports reports their understanding that the South Korean international may well be the subject of a bid before the close of the transfer window, with Liverpool said to be one of the clubs interested in the 24-year-old.
Lee missed virtually all of last season with a broken leg and his absence was often cited as a leading reason in Bolton’s relegation from the Premier League. Bolton currently lie in 16th spot in the Championship and have little prospect of even making the playoffs for a chance to return to the Premier League next season.
Having been repeatedly linked to a move since earning rave reviews for his performances after joining Bolton in 2009, Lee may well now decide the time is right to move on.
As well as Coutinho, Lee may also be seen as an alternative to Tom Ince. The winger, who admittedly plays on the other flank to Lee, appears no closer to joining Liverpool from Blackpool.
Liverpool may have to forget about signing another reported target—Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes. The 31-year-old last week announced that he would not be extending his current contract, which is set to expire in the summer of 2014.
Speculation immediately mounted that the decision would lead to a divorce between the club and the player as early as this summer.
However, according to Spanish publication Marca, Barcelona do not intend to push Valdes toward the exit door at the end of the season. Reportedly, Valdes will be allowed to make up his own mind about his future.
Valdes, who has spent his entire career at Barcelona, was rumored as a potential replacement for Pepe Reina. Ironically, Reina has been cited as a target for Barcelona to take the place of Valdes at the Camp Nou.
Liverpool could yet move for young Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland. The Reds are one of a number of clubs to be linked to the much-lauded 19-year-old and the England international may well be moving on in January.
The Daily Telegraph reports that cash-strapped Birmingham are desperate to spark interest in Butland and have cut his asking price to just £3.5 million. It is believed that Southampton had a £6 million bid rejected last summer.
Butland kept goal for Great Britain in last year’s Olympic Games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims