Will Bank of America Outperform in 2013?
By Meghan Foley | January 25, 2013 7:45 AM EST
Speaking to CNBC’s Maria Bartiromo at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Bank of America’s ( impacts are also behind it. “The real task now is to finish the cleanup of the mortgages themselves, and we have been working hard on that, that’s where there are a lot of upside to earnings going forward,” he said.
For the most part, Bank of America’s downsizing of its business is finished; the unit that was once staffed by 58,000 employees now has only 9,000. However, cuts are not taking place across the board, as the bank is sizing its workforce to customer demand. According to Moynihan, thousands of small business bankers have been hired and the headcount of the mortgage loan division has grown as well.
Moynihan is not concerned about the upcoming Volcker rule that will make banking regulations more stringent. “Over the last few years, we in our industry have largely doubled capital, and our liquidity is up 4 times. We have built a lot more safe, sound institution at Bank of America, at the same time,” he said. “Secondly, we have simplified the place by getting rid of a lot of activities, which weren’t directly for the customers we served, that were built up through acquisitions and things like that.”
“We have great earnings power,” he added, explaining why the company’s stock was up over 100 percent last year. In particular, Moynihan noted that the company’s equities business will likely see a boost this year because as uncertainties continue to “come out of the system,” investments will proceed aggressively.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery