Gold and Silver Stumble as Jobless Claims Reach 5-Year Low
By Eric McWhinnie | January 25, 2013 7:04 AM EST
On Thursday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for February delivery, the most active contract, decreased $16.80 to settle at $1,669.90 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March dropped 72 cents to close at $31.72.
Both precious metals experienced weakness as the number of Americans filing new applications for jobless benefits reached a new five-year low. Initial jobless claims fell by 5,000 to a seasonally adjusted 330,000 in the week ended January 19, according to the Labor Department. Economists were expecting around 355,000 claims.
However, because of the holiday-shortened week, the number of applications was estimated for Hawaii, Virginia and California. This will likely add to the seasonal swings that distort the numbers. Brian Jones, senior U.S. economist at Societe Generale, said, “The swings are attributable to the calendar, we’re going to pay for this.” He expects the number of jobless claims to raise at the end of the month.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 0.95 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) declined 1.60 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) dropped 1.50 percent and 3.40 percent, respectively. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) both stumbled more than 3.0 percent.
Investor Insight: Gold and Silver Bullion Are On the Move
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown