NFL Owner Pays Fan: Jim Irsay Sends $8,500 To Winner Of Twitter Contest
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 6:53 AM EST
NFL owner Jim Irsay of the Indianapolis Colts used his Twitter account to pay a fan $8,500 during a contest he held on the score of Sunday’s Baltimore Ravens-New England Patriots game.
Irsay tweeted the rules of the contest Sunday. He offered $8,500 to the first follower who could correctly guess the score of the game, with a one-point cushion given for both teams.
Twitter user @mikesong, identified in media reports only as an NFL fan named Jason, predicted the score would be 27-14. The score wound up being 28-13, putting the user’s guess within Irsay’s margin of error.
The user said the NFL owner sent him a direct message on Twitter asking for his address. He later received a FedEx envelope stuffed with $8,500 in cash.
Jason received a ton of tweets congratulating him on his bounty.
He tweeted, “yeah fed ex, had me sign for it and had to show ID … I had no idea it would be cash.”
Jason has received newfound fame over the NFL owner’s generosity. He tweeted that he was going to be on the Indianapolis sports radio station WNDE at 4:15 p.m. Thursday to talk about winning the contest.
Irsay was conducting other contests through his Twitter account, which has surged in followers since word spread about the owner sharing his wealth.
The Colts owner offered $500 in a “conservative pick” contest to the first winner to correctly guess the winner of the Ravens-Patriots game, which was won by Baltimore.
In other Sunday NFL action, Irsay offered $2,000 for the first person to predict the winner of the San Francisco 49ers-Atlanta Falcons game, the quarterback with the highest quarterback rating in the game and the total combined score of both teams.
Irsay now has more than 200,000 followers on Twitter, and users of the micro-blogging website are both praising him and sending him requests for cash.
“@JimIrsay I need your help. I'm in desperate need of a newer car. I've had 2 stolen cars and the car need repairs anything will help,” wrote @Jakelongmn.
“Jim irsay gave fans money for guessing scores right. One fan got 8000. I know who I'm following! Lol,” tweeted @YoungBlackKing1.
Others are frothing at the mouth over what Irsay might have in store for the Super Bowl, when the Ravens will take on the 49ers Feb. 3 in New Orleans to determine the NFL champion.
“@JimIrsay What do you have up your sleeve for Super Bowl?” asked Joel A. Salazar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop