NFL Owner Pays Fan: Jim Irsay Sends $8,500 To Winner Of Twitter Contest
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 6:53 AM EST
NFL owner Jim Irsay of the Indianapolis Colts used his Twitter account to pay a fan $8,500 during a contest he held on the score of Sunday’s Baltimore Ravens-New England Patriots game.
Irsay tweeted the rules of the contest Sunday. He offered $8,500 to the first follower who could correctly guess the score of the game, with a one-point cushion given for both teams.
Twitter user @mikesong, identified in media reports only as an NFL fan named Jason, predicted the score would be 27-14. The score wound up being 28-13, putting the user’s guess within Irsay’s margin of error.
The user said the NFL owner sent him a direct message on Twitter asking for his address. He later received a FedEx envelope stuffed with $8,500 in cash.
Jason received a ton of tweets congratulating him on his bounty.
He tweeted, “yeah fed ex, had me sign for it and had to show ID … I had no idea it would be cash.”
Jason has received newfound fame over the NFL owner’s generosity. He tweeted that he was going to be on the Indianapolis sports radio station WNDE at 4:15 p.m. Thursday to talk about winning the contest.
Irsay was conducting other contests through his Twitter account, which has surged in followers since word spread about the owner sharing his wealth.
The Colts owner offered $500 in a “conservative pick” contest to the first winner to correctly guess the winner of the Ravens-Patriots game, which was won by Baltimore.
In other Sunday NFL action, Irsay offered $2,000 for the first person to predict the winner of the San Francisco 49ers-Atlanta Falcons game, the quarterback with the highest quarterback rating in the game and the total combined score of both teams.
Irsay now has more than 200,000 followers on Twitter, and users of the micro-blogging website are both praising him and sending him requests for cash.
“@JimIrsay I need your help. I'm in desperate need of a newer car. I've had 2 stolen cars and the car need repairs anything will help,” wrote @Jakelongmn.
“Jim irsay gave fans money for guessing scores right. One fan got 8000. I know who I'm following! Lol,” tweeted @YoungBlackKing1.
Others are frothing at the mouth over what Irsay might have in store for the Super Bowl, when the Ravens will take on the 49ers Feb. 3 in New Orleans to determine the NFL champion.
“@JimIrsay What do you have up your sleeve for Super Bowl?” asked Joel A. Salazar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes