NFL Owner Pays Fan: Jim Irsay Sends $8,500 To Winner Of Twitter Contest
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 6:53 AM EST
NFL owner Jim Irsay of the Indianapolis Colts used his Twitter account to pay a fan $8,500 during a contest he held on the score of Sunday’s Baltimore Ravens-New England Patriots game.
Irsay tweeted the rules of the contest Sunday. He offered $8,500 to the first follower who could correctly guess the score of the game, with a one-point cushion given for both teams.
Twitter user @mikesong, identified in media reports only as an NFL fan named Jason, predicted the score would be 27-14. The score wound up being 28-13, putting the user’s guess within Irsay’s margin of error.
The user said the NFL owner sent him a direct message on Twitter asking for his address. He later received a FedEx envelope stuffed with $8,500 in cash.
Jason received a ton of tweets congratulating him on his bounty.
He tweeted, “yeah fed ex, had me sign for it and had to show ID … I had no idea it would be cash.”
Jason has received newfound fame over the NFL owner’s generosity. He tweeted that he was going to be on the Indianapolis sports radio station WNDE at 4:15 p.m. Thursday to talk about winning the contest.
Irsay was conducting other contests through his Twitter account, which has surged in followers since word spread about the owner sharing his wealth.
The Colts owner offered $500 in a “conservative pick” contest to the first winner to correctly guess the winner of the Ravens-Patriots game, which was won by Baltimore.
In other Sunday NFL action, Irsay offered $2,000 for the first person to predict the winner of the San Francisco 49ers-Atlanta Falcons game, the quarterback with the highest quarterback rating in the game and the total combined score of both teams.
Irsay now has more than 200,000 followers on Twitter, and users of the micro-blogging website are both praising him and sending him requests for cash.
“@JimIrsay I need your help. I'm in desperate need of a newer car. I've had 2 stolen cars and the car need repairs anything will help,” wrote @Jakelongmn.
“Jim irsay gave fans money for guessing scores right. One fan got 8000. I know who I'm following! Lol,” tweeted @YoungBlackKing1.
Others are frothing at the mouth over what Irsay might have in store for the Super Bowl, when the Ravens will take on the 49ers Feb. 3 in New Orleans to determine the NFL champion.
“@JimIrsay What do you have up your sleeve for Super Bowl?” asked Joel A. Salazar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans