Is Rand Paul Really Urging Obama To Resign Over Beyoncé Scandal? Twitter Users Fall For New Yorker Magazine’s Joke
By Jill Heller | January 25, 2013 6:40 AM EST
In a joke that seems to have gone over the heads of outraged Twitter users, Andy Borowitz of The New Yorker wrote in a satirical article on Wednesday that Obama had been asked to resign by leading GOP members including Sen. Rand Paul, because of reports revealing that Beyoncé lip-synced during his inauguration on Monday.
Borowitz, who is known for his snarky, Onion-esque column “The Borowitz Report,” provoked a wave of anger and disbelief across Twitter on Thursday when readers mistook his humorous article for truth. In the short piece, Borowitz writes that, “A rising chorus of congressional Republicans are calling on President Obama to acknowledge that the pop singer Beyoncé lip-synched during his inaugural festivities on Monday and resign from office, effective immediately.”
He goes on to quote GOP members including Sen. Rand Paul, who are supposedly pressuring the President to tender his resignation. “By lip-synching the national anthem, Beyoncé has cast a dark cloud over the President’s second term. The only way President Obama can remove that cloud is by resigning from office at once,” Paul is quoted as saying.
“If Beyoncé lip-synched the national anthem, how do we know President Obama didn’t lip-sync his oath of office?” he supposedly adds. “If that’s the case, he’s not legally President. But just to be on the safe side, he should resign anyway.”
Borowitz has a longer roster of similar pieces he has written for The New Yorker, including, “Congress Collapses From Exhaustion After Doing Job,” “TIME Names Mitt Romney Man Of The Year 1912,” and “Al Qaeda Disbands; Says Job Of Destroying U.S. Economy Now In Congress’s Hands.”
But hundreds of Twitter users evidently didn’t catch onto the intended parody, responding with remarks fervently defending Obama and chastising the Republican party for its pettiness.
“I really thought this was an ‘Onion’ article; Rand Paul is nuts! – ‘Obama Urged to Resign Over Beyoncé Scandal,’” tweeted user @dhutch.
“Today's Idiot Ting! A Senator thinks Obama should resign over Beyonce's lip-syncing controversy,” Canadian radio station G98.7 wrote in a message to followers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown