Is Rand Paul Really Urging Obama To Resign Over Beyoncé Scandal? Twitter Users Fall For New Yorker Magazine’s Joke
By Jill Heller | January 25, 2013 6:40 AM EST
In a joke that seems to have gone over the heads of outraged Twitter users, Andy Borowitz of The New Yorker wrote in a satirical article on Wednesday that Obama had been asked to resign by leading GOP members including Sen. Rand Paul, because of reports revealing that Beyoncé lip-synced during his inauguration on Monday.
Borowitz, who is known for his snarky, Onion-esque column “The Borowitz Report,” provoked a wave of anger and disbelief across Twitter on Thursday when readers mistook his humorous article for truth. In the short piece, Borowitz writes that, “A rising chorus of congressional Republicans are calling on President Obama to acknowledge that the pop singer Beyoncé lip-synched during his inaugural festivities on Monday and resign from office, effective immediately.”
He goes on to quote GOP members including Sen. Rand Paul, who are supposedly pressuring the President to tender his resignation. “By lip-synching the national anthem, Beyoncé has cast a dark cloud over the President’s second term. The only way President Obama can remove that cloud is by resigning from office at once,” Paul is quoted as saying.
“If Beyoncé lip-synched the national anthem, how do we know President Obama didn’t lip-sync his oath of office?” he supposedly adds. “If that’s the case, he’s not legally President. But just to be on the safe side, he should resign anyway.”
Borowitz has a longer roster of similar pieces he has written for The New Yorker, including, “Congress Collapses From Exhaustion After Doing Job,” “TIME Names Mitt Romney Man Of The Year 1912,” and “Al Qaeda Disbands; Says Job Of Destroying U.S. Economy Now In Congress’s Hands.”
But hundreds of Twitter users evidently didn’t catch onto the intended parody, responding with remarks fervently defending Obama and chastising the Republican party for its pettiness.
“I really thought this was an ‘Onion’ article; Rand Paul is nuts! – ‘Obama Urged to Resign Over Beyoncé Scandal,’” tweeted user @dhutch.
“Today's Idiot Ting! A Senator thinks Obama should resign over Beyonce's lip-syncing controversy,” Canadian radio station G98.7 wrote in a message to followers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install