Burger King Drops Horse Meat Supplier Firm After Horse DNA Is Found In Beef
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 6:15 AM EST
Burger King has announced it is cutting ties with its meat supplier in the United Kingdom and Ireland after a scandal revealed Silvercrest was mixing horse meat with its beef.
According to the Miami-based company, Burger King cut ties with ABP Food Group’s Irish subsidiary Silvercrest which supplied its meat for locations in Britain and Ireland after the supplier was investigated for selling beef products tainted with horse meat.
Reuters reported Burger King will replace all Silvercrest products in Britain and Ireland with an approved supplier.
"This is a voluntary and precautionary measure," Burger King said. "We are working diligently to identify suppliers that can produce 100 percent pure Irish and British beef products that meet our high quality standards."
Burger King said some of its menu items will be “temporarily unavailable” and apologized for the inconvenience.
Last week, news spread that processing plants Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods in Ireland and Dalepak Hambleton in Britain tested positive for horse DNA. Burger King launched its own independent and ongoing investigation which led the fast food chain to cut its ties.
Burger King said horse meat in beef “is not a food safety issue,” but acknowledged many consumers’ concerns of not wanting to consume horse meat in their beef.
“Food quality and safety are a top priority for Burger King restaurants globally,” the company said. “We have stringent and overlapping controls to ensure that the products we sell our customers meet our strict quality standards.”
Similarly, food retailer Tesco apologized for customers after it learned horse meat contaminated some of its beef.
“While the FSAI has said that the products [containing horsemeat] pose no risk to public health, we appreciate that, like us, our customers will find this absolutely unacceptable,” Tesco wrote. “We and our supplier have let you down and we apologise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Flop Anderson was Once 'Like Neymar,' Says Brazil Legend
- Arrow Season 3 Spoilers: Big Villain Speculation, Olicity Fans Get A Bit More Fun; Caity Lotz Status Confirmed
- Transfer News: Double Blow for Manchester United as Jurgen Klopp Calls Hummels Rumour 'Bullsh*t,' while Assuring Reus will Stay
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Jeremy Lin Has All-Star Potential with Lakers
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales