Burger King Drops Horse Meat Supplier Firm After Horse DNA Is Found In Beef
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 6:15 AM EST
Burger King has announced it is cutting ties with its meat supplier in the United Kingdom and Ireland after a scandal revealed Silvercrest was mixing horse meat with its beef.
According to the Miami-based company, Burger King cut ties with ABP Food Group’s Irish subsidiary Silvercrest which supplied its meat for locations in Britain and Ireland after the supplier was investigated for selling beef products tainted with horse meat.
Reuters reported Burger King will replace all Silvercrest products in Britain and Ireland with an approved supplier.
"This is a voluntary and precautionary measure," Burger King said. "We are working diligently to identify suppliers that can produce 100 percent pure Irish and British beef products that meet our high quality standards."
Burger King said some of its menu items will be “temporarily unavailable” and apologized for the inconvenience.
Last week, news spread that processing plants Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods in Ireland and Dalepak Hambleton in Britain tested positive for horse DNA. Burger King launched its own independent and ongoing investigation which led the fast food chain to cut its ties.
Burger King said horse meat in beef “is not a food safety issue,” but acknowledged many consumers’ concerns of not wanting to consume horse meat in their beef.
“Food quality and safety are a top priority for Burger King restaurants globally,” the company said. “We have stringent and overlapping controls to ensure that the products we sell our customers meet our strict quality standards.”
Similarly, food retailer Tesco apologized for customers after it learned horse meat contaminated some of its beef.
“While the FSAI has said that the products [containing horsemeat] pose no risk to public health, we appreciate that, like us, our customers will find this absolutely unacceptable,” Tesco wrote. “We and our supplier have let you down and we apologise.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Puerto Rico’s Barea Set To Be Cut By Minnesota Timberwolves
- Kanye West Lashes Out At The Media After Being Slammed For Wheelchair Incident In Australia
- Georges St-Pierre Hangs Out With Wrestling Legend Hulk Hogan
- Top 5 Highest Career Earning Female Golfers
- Michael Clarke Misses Train For ODIs Against Pakistan, Phil Hughes Steps In
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown