Is Joe Flacco Now An Elite NFL Quarterback? Super Bowl Victory Makes Baltimore Raven Best In NFL? Should He Be Highest Paid In NFL?
January 25, 2013 6:00 AM EST
Just before the start of the 2012 NFL season, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco claimed to be one of the NFL’s elite quarterbacks.
That put Flacco under serious fire as it seemed out of turn for a quarterback who hadn’t won or even reached a Super Bowl to make such a self-aggrandizing statement.
Now the 28-year-old New Jersey native, who is scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the season unless Baltimore places the franchise tag on him, leads the Ravens to the second Super Bowl in the franchise’s short history.
While Flacco has proved himself over the last three Baltimore wins with eight touchdown passes and no interceptions, it is still hard to believe what he has accomplished, considering he’s never led the NFL in passing yards or touchdowns, and has a career passer rating of 86.3. He has lead the Ravens to the posteason in his first five seasons, including two trips to the AFC title game, but Flacco's performance was never singled out as the reason Baltimore moved on until now.
Currently No. 7 on the list of highest paid quarterbacks, Flacco could earn himself a serious pay bump if he leads Baltimore to the championship. Or if Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome pours over Flacco’s last three games and how they compare to his previous postseason runs.
Before this season, Flacco had eight touchdowns and eight picks in the playoffs, and only one game with a passer rating above 100. Over the last three weeks, Flacco has doubled his touchdown total without throwing an interception, has an average passer rating of 116, and outplayed future Hall of Famers in Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. By comparison, Brady has thrown three interceptions in his last three postseason games, and six total picks in his last five.
Should he beat the San Francisco 49ers, Flacco could also earn the designation of “elite”. In terms of contracts, Flacco is behind: Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and Jay Cutler. All are either out of the playoffs, and at one point or another were or still are considered elite. At this point, Flacco has outplayed all of them.
Something to consider would be the players just behind Flacco in terms of salary: Josh Freeman, Sam Bradford, and Matt Hasselbeck, whose difference in salary is negligible in terms of millions.
More could be gleaned from the idea that being the highest paid at your position does not guarantee your team postseason success. Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson are the highest paid running backs in the league, with each pulling down $8 million in 2012, but neither has reached the Super Bowl despite their considerable, otherworldly talents.
It’s possible Flacco turned a corner during the season, and we are seeing the ascension of the NFL’s next great passer. Either way, Flacco has earned high praise and now others might start to call him elite.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports