Andean Glaciers Melting At Alarming Rates Dut To Climate Change, Study Says
By Ryan Villarreal | January 25, 2013 6:09 AM EST
Glaciers in South America’s Andes mountain range are receding at unprecedented rates as a result of climate change, according to a recent study published in the science journal Cryosphere.
Since the 1970s, the Andean glaciers have shrunk from between 30 and 50 percent due in large part to an increase in average temperature by 0.7 degree Celsius over the past 70 years, the study reported.
The study, which examined about half of the Andean glaciers, found that the phenomenon was more strongly pronounced among smaller, lower altitude glaciers, which it said could vanish altogether within decades or even years.
The Andean glaciers are a primary source of freshwater for tens of millions of people in the region, which spans from Venezuela down along the western coast of the continent to Chile.
Glaciers serve as a natural storage and release system of freshwater, and premature melting would result in a massive depletion of water reserves.
"This is a serious concern because a large proportion of the population lives in arid regions to the west of the Andes," said Antoine Rabatel, the lead author of the study and a scientist with the Laboratory for Glaciology and Environmental Geophysics in Grenoble, France, in an interview with the Guardian.
The increase in average temperature has been linked with an increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the majority of which has occurred within the past 50 years and is concurrent with the expanded usage fossil fuels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How