Can Starbucks Find Room to Grow?
By Meghan Foley | January 25, 2013 5:59 AM EST
Starbucks ( after the market closes on Thursday, and analysts are expecting the company to report strong results thanks to an eventful six months. In the second half of 2012, Starbucks introduced its Verismo single-cup brewing system, acquired Atlanta-based Teavana for $620 million, and saw its stock price rise more than 10 percent. With these new advantages, the coffee company is planning to make aggressive expansion its mission this year.
Forbes estimated that the company will add in India began on October 19, when the Seattle-based coffee retailer opened its first cafe in the country with its partner, the Indian conglomerate Tata. Since then, the company has continued its foray into the country, announcing Thursday that it will open two more locations at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
“We look forward to extending the unique Starbucks Experience and meeting the increasing demand for high quality coffee within travel channels in India,” Avani Saglani Davda, the chief executive officer of the joint venture, told The Economic Times. “With the entry into this segment, Starbucks will offer a differentiated breakfast menu that is carefully selected to cater to travelers, while providing an inviting and relaxed atmosphere to enjoy the legendary Starbucks Experience while in transit.”
Expansion in the Americas is also expected to be significant, with 600 new stores planned for the region as well. However, growth in the western hemisphere will be different. While Starbucks is looking to gain a foothold in India, where the coffee market is relatively small compared to the population, the company is focusing on its other brands in the United States, where it already has more than 11,000 stores. Not all of the new locations will be traditional Starbucks coffee shops, Teavana and Evolution juice bars will be part of the new additions.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation