Can Starbucks Find Room to Grow?
By Meghan Foley | January 25, 2013 5:59 AM EST
Starbucks ( after the market closes on Thursday, and analysts are expecting the company to report strong results thanks to an eventful six months. In the second half of 2012, Starbucks introduced its Verismo single-cup brewing system, acquired Atlanta-based Teavana for $620 million, and saw its stock price rise more than 10 percent. With these new advantages, the coffee company is planning to make aggressive expansion its mission this year.
Forbes estimated that the company will add in India began on October 19, when the Seattle-based coffee retailer opened its first cafe in the country with its partner, the Indian conglomerate Tata. Since then, the company has continued its foray into the country, announcing Thursday that it will open two more locations at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
“We look forward to extending the unique Starbucks Experience and meeting the increasing demand for high quality coffee within travel channels in India,” Avani Saglani Davda, the chief executive officer of the joint venture, told The Economic Times. “With the entry into this segment, Starbucks will offer a differentiated breakfast menu that is carefully selected to cater to travelers, while providing an inviting and relaxed atmosphere to enjoy the legendary Starbucks Experience while in transit.”
Expansion in the Americas is also expected to be significant, with 600 new stores planned for the region as well. However, growth in the western hemisphere will be different. While Starbucks is looking to gain a foothold in India, where the coffee market is relatively small compared to the population, the company is focusing on its other brands in the United States, where it already has more than 11,000 stores. Not all of the new locations will be traditional Starbucks coffee shops, Teavana and Evolution juice bars will be part of the new additions.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage