Can Starbucks Find Room to Grow?
By Meghan Foley | January 25, 2013 5:59 AM EST
Starbucks ( after the market closes on Thursday, and analysts are expecting the company to report strong results thanks to an eventful six months. In the second half of 2012, Starbucks introduced its Verismo single-cup brewing system, acquired Atlanta-based Teavana for $620 million, and saw its stock price rise more than 10 percent. With these new advantages, the coffee company is planning to make aggressive expansion its mission this year.
Forbes estimated that the company will add in India began on October 19, when the Seattle-based coffee retailer opened its first cafe in the country with its partner, the Indian conglomerate Tata. Since then, the company has continued its foray into the country, announcing Thursday that it will open two more locations at the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
“We look forward to extending the unique Starbucks Experience and meeting the increasing demand for high quality coffee within travel channels in India,” Avani Saglani Davda, the chief executive officer of the joint venture, told The Economic Times. “With the entry into this segment, Starbucks will offer a differentiated breakfast menu that is carefully selected to cater to travelers, while providing an inviting and relaxed atmosphere to enjoy the legendary Starbucks Experience while in transit.”
Expansion in the Americas is also expected to be significant, with 600 new stores planned for the region as well. However, growth in the western hemisphere will be different. While Starbucks is looking to gain a foothold in India, where the coffee market is relatively small compared to the population, the company is focusing on its other brands in the United States, where it already has more than 11,000 stores. Not all of the new locations will be traditional Starbucks coffee shops, Teavana and Evolution juice bars will be part of the new additions.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’