Kenyan Prostitutes Ruined by Clampdown on 'Quick' British Soldiers' Downtime
By Umberto Bacchi | January 25, 2013 5:09 AM EST
A group of Kenyan prostitutes has claimed they are being driven out of business by stricter night-out rules that have been imposed on British soldiers deployed in the country, following a series of incidents.
British officers were the main source of income for prostitutes in in the town of Nanyuki, in the Rift Valley, about 200km north of Nairobi, according to the leader of a local unofficial sex workers' union.
"For normal sex the British pay you 4,000Ksh [£30], but the Kenyans pay 200Ksh or 300Ksh," sex workers' representative Margaret Wambui told The Times.
"Kenyan people take a long time but the British only take a few seconds, so you can go and find another customer."
Nanyuki hosts a British army base used to train troops before deployment in Afghanistan.
A few months ago, however, British authorities at the base clamped down on soldiers' downtime, allowing them out of the base only under strict surveillance.
Officially implemented because of a jurisdictional dispute with the Kenyan Government, the new regime caused a dip in prostitutes' income.
However Wambui said the change is due to a series of incidents involving British troops in the city and called for authorities to relax the restrictions.
In August 2012, two UK soldiers were accused of involvement in the killing of a prostitute, whose body was found in a septic tank in a hotel in town a couple of months after she disappeared.
Agnes Wanjiru-Wanjiku, 21, was reportedly last seen entertaining the two Brits in a bar.
A few months earlier, more than 200 soldiers were involved in a drunken brawl at the local Sportsman's Arms bar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage