Kenyan Prostitutes Ruined by Clampdown on 'Quick' British Soldiers' Downtime
By Umberto Bacchi | January 25, 2013 5:09 AM EST
A group of Kenyan prostitutes has claimed they are being driven out of business by stricter night-out rules that have been imposed on British soldiers deployed in the country, following a series of incidents.
British officers were the main source of income for prostitutes in in the town of Nanyuki, in the Rift Valley, about 200km north of Nairobi, according to the leader of a local unofficial sex workers' union.
"For normal sex the British pay you 4,000Ksh [£30], but the Kenyans pay 200Ksh or 300Ksh," sex workers' representative Margaret Wambui told The Times.
"Kenyan people take a long time but the British only take a few seconds, so you can go and find another customer."
Nanyuki hosts a British army base used to train troops before deployment in Afghanistan.
A few months ago, however, British authorities at the base clamped down on soldiers' downtime, allowing them out of the base only under strict surveillance.
Officially implemented because of a jurisdictional dispute with the Kenyan Government, the new regime caused a dip in prostitutes' income.
However Wambui said the change is due to a series of incidents involving British troops in the city and called for authorities to relax the restrictions.
In August 2012, two UK soldiers were accused of involvement in the killing of a prostitute, whose body was found in a septic tank in a hotel in town a couple of months after she disappeared.
Agnes Wanjiru-Wanjiku, 21, was reportedly last seen entertaining the two Brits in a bar.
A few months earlier, more than 200 soldiers were involved in a drunken brawl at the local Sportsman's Arms bar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Asylum Seekers Demand Compensation From Australia for Neglect and Poor Healthcare
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements