Arsenal Struggling to Find a Buyer for £15m Flop
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 3:51 AM EST
Arsenal appear to be struggling to find a buyer for out-of-favour midfielder Andrey Arshavin after Reading manager Brian McDermott ruled out a move for the Russian.
Arshavin, who cost the club £15million when he moved from Zenit St. Peterburg in January 2009, has been heavily linked with a move away from the Emirates during the current transfer window and has been heavily linked with a move to the Madejski Stadium.
The Russia international has struggled to gain a place in the first team this season and has been limited to just a handful of appearances in all competitions.
It was assumed that the north London club would look to offload him in January but there does not seem to be much interest from another English club, with even Premier League strugglers Reading ruling themselves out of the running.
"It's one that I've heard many times," McDermott told Sky Sports. "He's an Arsenal player. I don't think he will be a Reading player."
Arshavin did join Zenit St. Petersburg on a loan deal last season but the Russian club decided against signing him on a permanent deal.
While Arsenal struggle to part company with Arshavin, Reading have admitted that they are trying to bring a high-profile name to the club as they desperately battle to avoid the drop.
"We haven't broken the bank, I certainly haven't in the last three years and we probably haven't in the last 12 years as a club," added McDermott.
"That's not to say that if a player came in that we felt was right for us, at the right cost, then the owner would have to make a decision to back that deal. Then we will wait and see. It's not a case of 'we wouldn't if it was right'."
Reading currently find themselves third from bottom but they have won their last two Premier League games with comeback victories against West Brom and away at Newcastle.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report