Arsenal Struggling to Find a Buyer for £15m Flop
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 3:51 AM EST
Arsenal appear to be struggling to find a buyer for out-of-favour midfielder Andrey Arshavin after Reading manager Brian McDermott ruled out a move for the Russian.
Arshavin, who cost the club £15million when he moved from Zenit St. Peterburg in January 2009, has been heavily linked with a move away from the Emirates during the current transfer window and has been heavily linked with a move to the Madejski Stadium.
The Russia international has struggled to gain a place in the first team this season and has been limited to just a handful of appearances in all competitions.
It was assumed that the north London club would look to offload him in January but there does not seem to be much interest from another English club, with even Premier League strugglers Reading ruling themselves out of the running.
"It's one that I've heard many times," McDermott told Sky Sports. "He's an Arsenal player. I don't think he will be a Reading player."
Arshavin did join Zenit St. Petersburg on a loan deal last season but the Russian club decided against signing him on a permanent deal.
While Arsenal struggle to part company with Arshavin, Reading have admitted that they are trying to bring a high-profile name to the club as they desperately battle to avoid the drop.
"We haven't broken the bank, I certainly haven't in the last three years and we probably haven't in the last 12 years as a club," added McDermott.
"That's not to say that if a player came in that we felt was right for us, at the right cost, then the owner would have to make a decision to back that deal. Then we will wait and see. It's not a case of 'we wouldn't if it was right'."
Reading currently find themselves third from bottom but they have won their last two Premier League games with comeback victories against West Brom and away at Newcastle.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers