Arsenal Struggling to Find a Buyer for £15m Flop
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 3:51 AM EST
Arsenal appear to be struggling to find a buyer for out-of-favour midfielder Andrey Arshavin after Reading manager Brian McDermott ruled out a move for the Russian.
Arshavin, who cost the club £15million when he moved from Zenit St. Peterburg in January 2009, has been heavily linked with a move away from the Emirates during the current transfer window and has been heavily linked with a move to the Madejski Stadium.
The Russia international has struggled to gain a place in the first team this season and has been limited to just a handful of appearances in all competitions.
It was assumed that the north London club would look to offload him in January but there does not seem to be much interest from another English club, with even Premier League strugglers Reading ruling themselves out of the running.
"It's one that I've heard many times," McDermott told Sky Sports. "He's an Arsenal player. I don't think he will be a Reading player."
Arshavin did join Zenit St. Petersburg on a loan deal last season but the Russian club decided against signing him on a permanent deal.
While Arsenal struggle to part company with Arshavin, Reading have admitted that they are trying to bring a high-profile name to the club as they desperately battle to avoid the drop.
"We haven't broken the bank, I certainly haven't in the last three years and we probably haven't in the last 12 years as a club," added McDermott.
"That's not to say that if a player came in that we felt was right for us, at the right cost, then the owner would have to make a decision to back that deal. Then we will wait and see. It's not a case of 'we wouldn't if it was right'."
Reading currently find themselves third from bottom but they have won their last two Premier League games with comeback victories against West Brom and away at Newcastle.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation