Medical Cannabis 'Offers Dramatic Relief to Chronic Pain Sufferers'
By Hannah Osborne | January 25, 2013 3:09 AM EST
A new study has found that medical cannabis helps to dramatically reduce suffering in people with chronic pain, after years of debate on the subject.
Zach Klein, a graduate student at Tel Aviv University, led a study looking at the effects of marijuana on people with chronic ailments.
He used a form of cannabis called Tikkum Olam, which references the Jewish concept of healing the world.
Klein tested the drug on 19 residents of a nursing home in Israel, administering it in the form of powder, oil, vapour or smoke three times a day for a year.
It was used on people who were suffering from pain, lack of appetite, muscle spasms and tremors.
The participants were between the ages of 69 and 101. Nursing staff monitored their physical wellbeing as well as overall life quality.
Pain reduced and mood improved
He found that participants reverted to a healthy weight, their pain and tremors were reduced and their mood and communication skills were vastly improved.
Seventeen of the patients achieved a healthy weight and nearly all the patients reported an increase in sleeping hours and a reduction in nightmares or post-traumatic stress disorder flashbacks.
The amount of drugs being prescribed to the participants was also reduced by 1.7 medications per day on average.
Klein began supporting the use of medical cannabis in 2009 after making the documentary Prescribed Grass. He says his research is to improve the quality of life of those suffering, especially those who have no other option.
The ingredient in medical marijuana is THC, which was first identified in 1964 by scientists from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel.
Although cannabis for medical purposes is now legal in some counties and certain states in the US, its general use is largely illegal. It is known to increase the risk of mental health illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch