Two-Buck Chuck Price Raised To $2.49 By Trader Joe's: Customers Say Wine Should Be Known As 'Inflation Chuck' Or 'Upchuck'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 2:54 AM EST
The popular Trader Joe’s wine known as Two-Buck Chuck will no longer be living up to his name after its price was raised to $2.49 from $1.99.
The cost of Two-Buck Chuck, sold under the Charles Shaw label and produced by Bronco Wine Co., was raised because of a shortage in wine crops in 2010 and 2011, Bronco spokesman Harvey Posert told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. But it was Trader Joe’s, not Charles Shaw, that decided on the price increase.
"If there's one grape too many, the price dips. If there's one grape too few, the price zips up. In the sense of being the largest grape grower, Bronco can ride many of these ups and downs,” Posert said. "But there were bad crops in 2010 and 2011, and that certainly impacted the industry," he said.
Two-Buck Chuck is Trader Joe’s bestselling wine, with customers praising both the price and quality of Charles Shaw shiraz or cabernet sauvignon.
Trader Joe’s shoppers joked about Two-Buck Chuck needing a new name following the price increase.
Matt Cook, a 28-year-old cook from Santa Rosa, told the Press Democrat that the wines should now be called “Inflation Chuck.”
Lisa Garrett, a 50-year-old Stewarts Point, Calif., resident, suggested “Upchuck.” She said her idea came from the price being raised and not the taste of the wine would cause someone to upchuck.
Charles Shaw was able to keep the price of Two-Buck Chuck at $1.99 because Bronco has 45,000 acres of vineyards, which allows it to weather fluctuations in grape prices, according to the Press Democrat.
Trader Joe’s was selling Two-Buck Chuck for $1.99 for 11 years, company spokesman Alison Mochizuki told the paper.
"In general, our retail prices change only when our costs change," Mochizuki said in an email. "We've held a $1.99 retail price for 11 years. Quite a bit has happened during those years and the move to $2.49 allows us to offer the same quality that has made the wine famous the world over."
Some customers aren’t thinking about chucking Two-Buck Chuck for good after the price increase – at least in the Santa Rosa area.
"My friends all like it," Santa Rosa resident Virginia Schrock, 86, told the Press Democrat. "Nobody sticks up their nose if you serve 'Two-Buck Chuck.' "
But others said Two-Buck Chuck is not for those with a sophisticated palate.
“You can't really take it to a party where people know wine," Barbara Levinson, 63, of Santa Rosa, told the paper. "I have a lot of friends in the wine business, so they're kind of particular. Snobby."
Two-Buck Chuck is cheaper on the West Coast then in some East Coast markets, where the wine sells for $2.99 and is known as “Three-Buck Chuck.”
Tucker criticized Trader Joe’s for increasing the price on Two-Buck Chuck.
“It’s blasphemy,” he told the Press Democrat. “People should maybe protest or boycott.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists