Two-Buck Chuck Price Raised To $2.49 By Trader Joe's: Customers Say Wine Should Be Known As 'Inflation Chuck' Or 'Upchuck'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 25, 2013 2:54 AM EST
The popular Trader Joe’s wine known as Two-Buck Chuck will no longer be living up to his name after its price was raised to $2.49 from $1.99.
The cost of Two-Buck Chuck, sold under the Charles Shaw label and produced by Bronco Wine Co., was raised because of a shortage in wine crops in 2010 and 2011, Bronco spokesman Harvey Posert told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. But it was Trader Joe’s, not Charles Shaw, that decided on the price increase.
"If there's one grape too many, the price dips. If there's one grape too few, the price zips up. In the sense of being the largest grape grower, Bronco can ride many of these ups and downs,” Posert said. "But there were bad crops in 2010 and 2011, and that certainly impacted the industry," he said.
Two-Buck Chuck is Trader Joe’s bestselling wine, with customers praising both the price and quality of Charles Shaw shiraz or cabernet sauvignon.
Trader Joe’s shoppers joked about Two-Buck Chuck needing a new name following the price increase.
Matt Cook, a 28-year-old cook from Santa Rosa, told the Press Democrat that the wines should now be called “Inflation Chuck.”
Lisa Garrett, a 50-year-old Stewarts Point, Calif., resident, suggested “Upchuck.” She said her idea came from the price being raised and not the taste of the wine would cause someone to upchuck.
Charles Shaw was able to keep the price of Two-Buck Chuck at $1.99 because Bronco has 45,000 acres of vineyards, which allows it to weather fluctuations in grape prices, according to the Press Democrat.
Trader Joe’s was selling Two-Buck Chuck for $1.99 for 11 years, company spokesman Alison Mochizuki told the paper.
"In general, our retail prices change only when our costs change," Mochizuki said in an email. "We've held a $1.99 retail price for 11 years. Quite a bit has happened during those years and the move to $2.49 allows us to offer the same quality that has made the wine famous the world over."
Some customers aren’t thinking about chucking Two-Buck Chuck for good after the price increase – at least in the Santa Rosa area.
"My friends all like it," Santa Rosa resident Virginia Schrock, 86, told the Press Democrat. "Nobody sticks up their nose if you serve 'Two-Buck Chuck.' "
But others said Two-Buck Chuck is not for those with a sophisticated palate.
“You can't really take it to a party where people know wine," Barbara Levinson, 63, of Santa Rosa, told the paper. "I have a lot of friends in the wine business, so they're kind of particular. Snobby."
Two-Buck Chuck is cheaper on the West Coast then in some East Coast markets, where the wine sells for $2.99 and is known as “Three-Buck Chuck.”
Tucker criticized Trader Joe’s for increasing the price on Two-Buck Chuck.
“It’s blasphemy,” he told the Press Democrat. “People should maybe protest or boycott.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers