Roach: Mayweather Will Only Fight Pacquiao in Vegas
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 2:47 AM EST
Freddie Roach has admitted that it is becoming increasingly unlikely that Manny Pacquiao will ever face Floyd Mayweather as the undefeated American is unwilling to fight outside of the United States.
It was revealed earlier this week by Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum that the Filipino legend was unlikely to ever fight again in America because of the stringent tax laws that require him to hand over close to 40% of his purse.
This is likely to further impact the chances of a clash with Mayweather as Roach believes that the current WBA light middleweight champion does not even like to fight outside of Las Vegas, let alone the States.
"The one thing about Mayweather is he will never fight anywhere but Las Vegas," the legendary trainer told Sport360. "He made that clear in the past when we were in talks. So I don't think a fight between him and Manny could ever happen anywhere but the States."
A fight between the two modern day greats had seemed like a genuine possibility in previous years, with representatives of the two men opening negotiations on a number of occasions.
Fight fans will still love to see the two enter the ring, despite Pacquiao losing his last two fights to Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez, and it would certainly profit both boxers financially because of the huge box-office numbers it would attract.
However, it now appears more likely that Pacquiao will begin discussions over a fifth bout with Marquez which could happen as early as April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier