Roach: Mayweather Will Only Fight Pacquiao in Vegas
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 2:47 AM EST
Freddie Roach has admitted that it is becoming increasingly unlikely that Manny Pacquiao will ever face Floyd Mayweather as the undefeated American is unwilling to fight outside of the United States.
It was revealed earlier this week by Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum that the Filipino legend was unlikely to ever fight again in America because of the stringent tax laws that require him to hand over close to 40% of his purse.
This is likely to further impact the chances of a clash with Mayweather as Roach believes that the current WBA light middleweight champion does not even like to fight outside of Las Vegas, let alone the States.
"The one thing about Mayweather is he will never fight anywhere but Las Vegas," the legendary trainer told Sport360. "He made that clear in the past when we were in talks. So I don't think a fight between him and Manny could ever happen anywhere but the States."
A fight between the two modern day greats had seemed like a genuine possibility in previous years, with representatives of the two men opening negotiations on a number of occasions.
Fight fans will still love to see the two enter the ring, despite Pacquiao losing his last two fights to Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez, and it would certainly profit both boxers financially because of the huge box-office numbers it would attract.
However, it now appears more likely that Pacquiao will begin discussions over a fifth bout with Marquez which could happen as early as April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon