Roach: Mayweather Will Only Fight Pacquiao in Vegas
By Adrian Back | January 25, 2013 2:47 AM EST
Freddie Roach has admitted that it is becoming increasingly unlikely that Manny Pacquiao will ever face Floyd Mayweather as the undefeated American is unwilling to fight outside of the United States.
It was revealed earlier this week by Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum that the Filipino legend was unlikely to ever fight again in America because of the stringent tax laws that require him to hand over close to 40% of his purse.
This is likely to further impact the chances of a clash with Mayweather as Roach believes that the current WBA light middleweight champion does not even like to fight outside of Las Vegas, let alone the States.
"The one thing about Mayweather is he will never fight anywhere but Las Vegas," the legendary trainer told Sport360. "He made that clear in the past when we were in talks. So I don't think a fight between him and Manny could ever happen anywhere but the States."
A fight between the two modern day greats had seemed like a genuine possibility in previous years, with representatives of the two men opening negotiations on a number of occasions.
Fight fans will still love to see the two enter the ring, despite Pacquiao losing his last two fights to Timothy Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez, and it would certainly profit both boxers financially because of the huge box-office numbers it would attract.
However, it now appears more likely that Pacquiao will begin discussions over a fifth bout with Marquez which could happen as early as April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues