Huntsman Advanced Materials To Cut European Payroll, $70M Benefit Cited
January 25, 2013 12:50 AM EST
Huntsman Corporation (NYSE:HUN), a global chemical producer with a market capitalization of about $4.35 billion, started talks Thursday with European labor unions about downsizing their operations on the continent and in the U.K.
Overall, the Salt Lake City, Utah-based company, which has about 2,500 workers worldwide, has been posting strong results recently, but it’s been tough going for its Advanced Materials division, which makes coatings, adhesives, composites and electronics materials.
To remedy that, Huntsman has launched an “on-going strategic plan designed to improve the company’s manufacturing efficiencies, enhance commercial excellence and ensure its long-term global competitiveness,” the company said in a news release, adding that it anticipates “benefits to the business in the range of $70 million.”
While the main thrust of the plan will be boosting its manufacturing efficiency, it will also address the division’s fixed costs, said Wynne Morris, head of communications in the division's Basel, Switzerland, office.
“The weak economic conditions we’re operating in around world plus the volatility of the cost of raw materials is driving the company to take some tough but necessary actions,” he said. “Unfortunately, the plan will include some reduction in head-count.”
Morris declined to speculate on how many of the division’s European workers will lose their jobs. The talks with their union representatives will take several weeks, and the division’s overall strategic plan will take about 18 months to fully implement, he said.
The Advance Materials Division operates manufacturing facilities in Britain, Spain, Germany and two in the U.S. About 70 percent of the corporation’s sales are outside the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales