Mali: Islamist Rebels Ansar Dine Split Over Talks with Government
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | January 25, 2013 12:11 AM EST
Alghabass Ag Intallah, a senior member of the faction which has controlled northern Mali for the past 10 months, claims to have created a new organisation called the Islamic Movement for Azawad (IMA).
Azawad is a term used by Tuareg rebels for the northern region of Mali, where they want independence.
Intallah announced that the IMA is poised to seek a peaceful and negotiated solution to Mali's conflict.
"We want to wage our war and not that of AQIM," Intallah said, referring to Al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, the militant movement that French-led military troops are trying to repel after their surprise attack towards the capital Bamako.
The IMA said it wanted the "Malian authorities and France to cease hostilities in the zones that we are occupying in the north-eastern regions of Kidal and Menaka to create a climate of peace which will pave the way for an inclusive political [structure]".
Something in between a movement and a representative group, Ansar Dine is a mix of Arabs, Tuaregs and Harratin, even though they like to portray themselves as mainly Tuaregs. Many of the militants involved are refugees and fighters coming from Libya after the fall of the Gaddafi regime, and are nicknamed Les Rebels.
They are the radical, militant wing of the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA), and use religion to gain more visibility and alliance. Unlike AQIM, Ansar Dine has accepted several rounds of talks with the Algerian government to sustain counter-terrorism.
This week French and Malian troops recaptured the central towns seized in a rebel offensive that sparked France's intervention.
An African force has begun to deploy to Mali to help with international efforts to expel the militant Islamist groups from the north.
Meanwhile, Mali's army has been accused of carrying out a series of summary executions by a Paris-based rights group.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales