Man United Line-Up €30m-Rated Defender as Ferdinand Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | January 24, 2013 11:55 PM EST
Manchester United are believed to be on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Benfica centre-back Ezequiel Garay at the end of the season.
Spanish newspaper Marca has reported that Sir Alex Ferguson has been paying close attention to the former Real Madrid defender and would like the 26-year-old to be a long-term replacement for Rio Ferdinand.
The England international is out of contract at the end of the season but it is expected that Manchester United will offer him a new one-year deal.
However, Ferdinand is entering the latter stages of his career and it seems as though Manchester United are already thinking about life without the former Leeds centre-back.
Marca has reported that while Benfica rate the defender at €30million, United have made an offer of around half that amount and must now further negotiate with the Portuguese side.
Garay has excelled since moving to Benfica in the summer of 2011 and this season has helped the club move to the top of the league as they battle it out with great rivals Porto for the title.
The Argentina international's impressive form has also been witnessed in the Champions League were he impressed in both ties against Barcelona but was unable to help the club qualify for the knockout stages.
Manchester United may now look to take advantage of the fact that Benfica struggle to make an impact in the European competition and will hope that the draw of competing for league titles and the Champions League will be enough to draw him to England.
Therefore the Portuguese club will be determined to drive up his fee which could mean that negotiations go on for some time.
Manchester United have had a habit of conceding goals this season and with Ferdinand seemingly coming towards the end of a very successful career, it seems Ferguson is keen to find a solution.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change