Man United Line-Up €30m-Rated Defender as Ferdinand Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | January 24, 2013 11:55 PM EST
Manchester United are believed to be on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Benfica centre-back Ezequiel Garay at the end of the season.
Spanish newspaper Marca has reported that Sir Alex Ferguson has been paying close attention to the former Real Madrid defender and would like the 26-year-old to be a long-term replacement for Rio Ferdinand.
The England international is out of contract at the end of the season but it is expected that Manchester United will offer him a new one-year deal.
However, Ferdinand is entering the latter stages of his career and it seems as though Manchester United are already thinking about life without the former Leeds centre-back.
Marca has reported that while Benfica rate the defender at €30million, United have made an offer of around half that amount and must now further negotiate with the Portuguese side.
Garay has excelled since moving to Benfica in the summer of 2011 and this season has helped the club move to the top of the league as they battle it out with great rivals Porto for the title.
The Argentina international's impressive form has also been witnessed in the Champions League were he impressed in both ties against Barcelona but was unable to help the club qualify for the knockout stages.
Manchester United may now look to take advantage of the fact that Benfica struggle to make an impact in the European competition and will hope that the draw of competing for league titles and the Champions League will be enough to draw him to England.
Therefore the Portuguese club will be determined to drive up his fee which could mean that negotiations go on for some time.
Manchester United have had a habit of conceding goals this season and with Ferdinand seemingly coming towards the end of a very successful career, it seems Ferguson is keen to find a solution.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar