Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXEMA1 Official Firmware [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | January 24, 2013 10:31 PM EST
Galaxy S3 I9300 users in Italy can finally rejoice over the release of the latest Jelly Bean official firmware Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 from Samsung, as the firmware is now available for download and installation either as Over-The-Air (OTA) update or via Samsung KIES. However, users residing outside Italy and those who missed the twin opportunities can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
NOTE: The installation of this firmware requires the use of ODIN flash tool and hence custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery must be installed separately.
Key Features of Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- Android 4.1.2 - JZO54K
- Multi-View (Multi-Windows Multitasking, same as in Note II)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery App (Same as in Note II)
- Notification Panel (Notification Panel can now be customized)
- Brightness Slider in Notification Panel Can Now Be Disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 Official Firmware Details:
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant - Galaxy S3 I9300 - model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone.
- Ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Verify that correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on the computer. Download Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- You will lose access to custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP recovery after the official firmware installation and custom recovery will be replaced by stock recovery.
- The phone will no longer have root access after installing the firmware and you need to root the phone again to regain full system access for installing third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for device damage during or after the firmware installation.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.2 XXEMA1 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
1. Extract XXEMA1 official firmware zip file that you downloaded earlier to get a .tar file and some other files.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Power off the smartphone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Place the Galaxy S3 I9300 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons until Samsung Galaxy logo appears on screen. Wait for a few seconds and the phone will enter Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware flashing process.
6. Connect the phone to the computer with the USB cable. A message saying "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of screen. If the message fails to appear, then try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of the computer). If all else fails then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin, just proceed to the next step. At this point, the COM port with a number turns Yellow if you successfully added the device.
7. Choose the following files from the extracted I9300XXEMA1 folder [check Step 1] in Odin using respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and choose the .tar.md5 file named 'Code'
- Tap the Phone Button, and choose file named 'Modem' (ignore if there is no such file)
- Hit the CSC Button, and click file named 'CSC' (ignore if such file is missing)
- Click the PIT Button, and choose the .pit file. Use the .pit file that you got while extracting in step 1, otherwise just ignore it.
8. In Odin window, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. Ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is selected, only if the .pit file was used in previous step.
9. Verify that everything in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the firmware is flashed completely, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy S3 I9300 is now running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based I9300XXEMA1 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
If the phone gets stuck at booting animation after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold Volume Up, Homeand Power buttons together) and perform Wipe Data/Factory Reset task before tapping Reboot System Now . In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate and Power key to select an option.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: