15,000 Crocodiles Escape from South Africa Farm
By Ewan Palmer | January 24, 2013 10:30 PM EST
Fifteen thousand crocodiles have escaped from a farm in South Africa after heavy rain flooded the area.
The reptiles escaped from the Rakwena crocodile farm in the north of the country when the owners opened the gates to prevent a storm surge after a rise in the nearby Limpopo river.
Around half of the predators have since been recovered, but the rest remain on the loose, with one spotted nearly 75 miles (120km) away on a rugby field.
According to Zane Langman, son-in-law of the farm owner, Johan Boshoff, there were previously only a few of crocodiles located in the Limpopo river, but since the escape "there are many".
He added: "We've been recapturing them as and when the local farmers phone us to tell us that there are crocodiles on their property.
"In Weipe there were a lot, and I also heard there was a crocodile on a school's rugby field in Musina.
Most of the recapturing has taken pace at night, adds Langma, This is because the animals are easier to spot as their eyes glow red in the dark.
The Limpopo area has been hit by a series of floods recently, which have left 10 people dead and many more injured.
The floods have also affected neighbouring Mozambique, with tens of thousands of people forced to evacuate their homes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report