15,000 Crocodiles Escape from South Africa Farm
By Ewan Palmer | January 24, 2013 10:30 PM EST
Fifteen thousand crocodiles have escaped from a farm in South Africa after heavy rain flooded the area.
The reptiles escaped from the Rakwena crocodile farm in the north of the country when the owners opened the gates to prevent a storm surge after a rise in the nearby Limpopo river.
Around half of the predators have since been recovered, but the rest remain on the loose, with one spotted nearly 75 miles (120km) away on a rugby field.
According to Zane Langman, son-in-law of the farm owner, Johan Boshoff, there were previously only a few of crocodiles located in the Limpopo river, but since the escape "there are many".
He added: "We've been recapturing them as and when the local farmers phone us to tell us that there are crocodiles on their property.
"In Weipe there were a lot, and I also heard there was a crocodile on a school's rugby field in Musina.
Most of the recapturing has taken pace at night, adds Langma, This is because the animals are easier to spot as their eyes glow red in the dark.
The Limpopo area has been hit by a series of floods recently, which have left 10 people dead and many more injured.
The floods have also affected neighbouring Mozambique, with tens of thousands of people forced to evacuate their homes.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales