EasyJet First Quarter Revenue Up 9% on Higher Traffic
By Geetha Pillai | January 24, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Budget airline easyJet has reported a steep rise in both revenue and passenger numbers for the three months ending December contributed by increased demand from corporate travelers.
Total revenue for the first quarter ending December jumped to £833m ($1.2bn, €990m), a rise of 9.2 percent. Passenger numbers for the same period rose to 13.7 million, an increase of 6.2 percent. Load factor, a measure of the utilisation of the total available capacity of an airline, rose one percentage point to 88.6 percent in the September-December quarter.
The Luton, southern England-based company said the increase in its passenger numbers were contributed mainly by strong demand for flights between top business destinations such as London, Paris, Geneva, Rome and Milan.
EasyJet, the second-largest budget airline in the Europe after the Irish-based Ryanair said that it expected to minimise first-half loss to between £50m- £75m as against a loss of £112m posted in 2011.
"EasyJet has made a strong start to the year due to a combination of management action, competitor capacity reductions and the benign operating environment," said Carolyn McCall, chief executive of easyJet.
"The good performance in the quarter and the structurally advantageous position that easyJet occupies in the European short-haul market means we remain confident in our outlook for the business".
The improved load factor is seen as the result of revamped business strategies such as allocated seating, flexible tickets as well as new additions in the business destinations. EasyJet which operates over 200 aircraft is also planning to start services between London, Manchester and Moscow later in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored