Delhi Gang Rape: Victim Passed Final Medical Exams with Top Grades
By drishya Nair | January 24, 2013 8:40 PM EST
The victim of December's fatal gang rape in Delhi passed her final-year medical exams with a first, her old academic institute has announced.
The 23-year-old victim, who is known only as Nirbhaya, studied at the prestigious Sai Institute and took the exams at Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University three months before she was attacked on 16 December.
She scored nearly 75 percent in her final exams, in a performance described as "very good" by her professors.
Had she survived the attack, the victim would now be a doctor.
Nirbhaya "got better marks than most as the average is around 55 to 65 per cent," Harish Arora, head of the Sai Institute, told Times of India.
The victim's father said: "The result is good. But the happiness that should be there is overshadowed by our sadness. I can only hope that my two other children are inspired by this to take the same path,"
A cheque of Rs 180,000 (£2,115, $3,353) will be handed over to the victim's family by the Sai Institute. This amount covers the victim's fees for her four-year course, which the management have decided to return to her family.
"The money will be given to a family member [of the victim] at a function that will be held at Dehradun's Parade Ground to pay tribute to her," Arora said. "I am sure someone will land up to accept the amount. In case they decline, saying the money can be used to help women students from poor families, we will do that too."
Meanwhile the trial of the five men accused of the rape has already begun in a fast-track court, set up to deal specifically with crimes against women. The sixth suspect claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage