Delhi Gang Rape: Victim Passed Final Medical Exams with Top Grades
By drishya Nair | January 24, 2013 8:40 PM EST
The victim of December's fatal gang rape in Delhi passed her final-year medical exams with a first, her old academic institute has announced.
The 23-year-old victim, who is known only as Nirbhaya, studied at the prestigious Sai Institute and took the exams at Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University three months before she was attacked on 16 December.
She scored nearly 75 percent in her final exams, in a performance described as "very good" by her professors.
Had she survived the attack, the victim would now be a doctor.
Nirbhaya "got better marks than most as the average is around 55 to 65 per cent," Harish Arora, head of the Sai Institute, told Times of India.
The victim's father said: "The result is good. But the happiness that should be there is overshadowed by our sadness. I can only hope that my two other children are inspired by this to take the same path,"
A cheque of Rs 180,000 (£2,115, $3,353) will be handed over to the victim's family by the Sai Institute. This amount covers the victim's fees for her four-year course, which the management have decided to return to her family.
"The money will be given to a family member [of the victim] at a function that will be held at Dehradun's Parade Ground to pay tribute to her," Arora said. "I am sure someone will land up to accept the amount. In case they decline, saying the money can be used to help women students from poor families, we will do that too."
Meanwhile the trial of the five men accused of the rape has already begun in a fast-track court, set up to deal specifically with crimes against women. The sixth suspect claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More