Delhi Gang Rape: Victim Passed Final Medical Exams with Top Grades
By drishya Nair | January 24, 2013 8:40 PM EST
The victim of December's fatal gang rape in Delhi passed her final-year medical exams with a first, her old academic institute has announced.
The 23-year-old victim, who is known only as Nirbhaya, studied at the prestigious Sai Institute and took the exams at Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University three months before she was attacked on 16 December.
She scored nearly 75 percent in her final exams, in a performance described as "very good" by her professors.
Had she survived the attack, the victim would now be a doctor.
Nirbhaya "got better marks than most as the average is around 55 to 65 per cent," Harish Arora, head of the Sai Institute, told Times of India.
The victim's father said: "The result is good. But the happiness that should be there is overshadowed by our sadness. I can only hope that my two other children are inspired by this to take the same path,"
A cheque of Rs 180,000 (£2,115, $3,353) will be handed over to the victim's family by the Sai Institute. This amount covers the victim's fees for her four-year course, which the management have decided to return to her family.
"The money will be given to a family member [of the victim] at a function that will be held at Dehradun's Parade Ground to pay tribute to her," Arora said. "I am sure someone will land up to accept the amount. In case they decline, saying the money can be used to help women students from poor families, we will do that too."
Meanwhile the trial of the five men accused of the rape has already begun in a fast-track court, set up to deal specifically with crimes against women. The sixth suspect claims to be a juvenile and his case is being handled separately.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- Couples Who Fight The Most, Love Each Other Most
- Perth Train Racist Attack Caught on Camera [VIDEO]
- Sydney Café Owner Who Refused to Hire a Black Man Closes Doors
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU