Indian Stocks Decline; Tata Motors Plunges 5.51 Percent
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 24, 2013 7:59 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading lower in the afternoon session on Thursday, weighed down by losses in realty, auto and power sector shares.
The 30-share BSE Sensex declined 0.48 percent or 96.30 points to 19,897.89, and the 50-share NSE Nifty fell 0.69 percent or 41.50 points to 6,012.80.
Tata Motors shares plunged more than 5 percent after the company said that its Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) subsidiary was likely to report a lower profit margin in the October-December quarter compared with the previous two quarters.
Among the sectoral indices in BSE, realty and auto sectors plunged 3.21 percent and 2.81 percent, respectively, while FMCG and IT sectors gained 0.81 percent and 0.62 percent, respectively.
In the realty sector, Sobha Developers plunged 4.60 percent and Unitech fell 3.70 percent while HDIL tumbled 14.91 percent. HDIL shares slumped nearly 30 percent in the last three sessions after the company promoters and Citigroup sold partial stake earlier this week.
DLF shares declined 0.68 percent despite the news that the company stock was upgraded to “buy” rating from “neutral” rating at Goldman Sachs.
The overall market breadth was negative with 677 advanced against 1894 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index plunged 1.70 percent to 6,906.03 and Smallcap Index fell 1.52 percent to 7,136.69. CNX midcap Index declined 1.76 percent and CNX IT gained 0.56 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian stock markets were mixed on Thursday after a private survey showed that manufacturing activities in the world's second largest economy improved for the fifth straight month in January. The HSBC Flash Purchasing Managers Index (PMI), a measure of the nation-wide manufacturing, gained to 51.9 in January from December’s final reading of 51.5 and also topped analysts’ estimation of 51.7 reading. .
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza