Indian Stocks Decline; Tata Motors Plunges 5.51 Percent
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 24, 2013 7:59 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading lower in the afternoon session on Thursday, weighed down by losses in realty, auto and power sector shares.
The 30-share BSE Sensex declined 0.48 percent or 96.30 points to 19,897.89, and the 50-share NSE Nifty fell 0.69 percent or 41.50 points to 6,012.80.
Tata Motors shares plunged more than 5 percent after the company said that its Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) subsidiary was likely to report a lower profit margin in the October-December quarter compared with the previous two quarters.
Among the sectoral indices in BSE, realty and auto sectors plunged 3.21 percent and 2.81 percent, respectively, while FMCG and IT sectors gained 0.81 percent and 0.62 percent, respectively.
In the realty sector, Sobha Developers plunged 4.60 percent and Unitech fell 3.70 percent while HDIL tumbled 14.91 percent. HDIL shares slumped nearly 30 percent in the last three sessions after the company promoters and Citigroup sold partial stake earlier this week.
DLF shares declined 0.68 percent despite the news that the company stock was upgraded to “buy” rating from “neutral” rating at Goldman Sachs.
The overall market breadth was negative with 677 advanced against 1894 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index plunged 1.70 percent to 6,906.03 and Smallcap Index fell 1.52 percent to 7,136.69. CNX midcap Index declined 1.76 percent and CNX IT gained 0.56 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian stock markets were mixed on Thursday after a private survey showed that manufacturing activities in the world's second largest economy improved for the fifth straight month in January. The HSBC Flash Purchasing Managers Index (PMI), a measure of the nation-wide manufacturing, gained to 51.9 in January from December’s final reading of 51.5 and also topped analysts’ estimation of 51.7 reading. .
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones