Barclays to cut at least 70 jobs in Asia investment banking: sources
By Lawrence White | January 24, 2013 7:49 PM EST
The total number of staff to be cut has not been finalized but could be as high as 90 people, the sources said, declining to be identified because the matter is confidential.
Goldman Sachs analysts in a recent research note said the bank could cut 15 percent of investment banking staff globally, amounting to some 3500 out of 23,300 employees.
A spokesman for Barclays declined to comment.
Jenkins took over in August after the departure of Bob Diamond, who left when the bank was fined for interest-rate rigging. The future shape and size of Barclays investment bank is considered the most critical part of Jenkins' review, as this business contributes more than half of group profits.
Jenkins is not due to unveil his "Project Transform" until February 12, but "Project Mango", as the investment bank revamp has been named by the unit's boss Rich Ricci, is close to being wrapped up.
Barclays hired a prestigious roster of veteran and expensive Asia investment bankers after the 2008 financial crisis, with the hope of forming a banking and equities business that would put the London-listed bank in the same league as Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley.
While the U.S. and European arms of the new Barclays muscled into Wall Street, the Asian operation was hit by delays in its equity platform roll-out, stiffer than expected competition from local firms, and a quick rebound in Asian markets that allowed rivals to regain momentum.
(Additional reporting by Steve Slater, Saeed Azhar and Michael Flaherty; Editing by Daniel Magnowski)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced