Barclays to cut at least 70 jobs in Asia investment banking: sources
By Lawrence White | January 24, 2013 7:49 PM EST
The total number of staff to be cut has not been finalized but could be as high as 90 people, the sources said, declining to be identified because the matter is confidential.
Goldman Sachs analysts in a recent research note said the bank could cut 15 percent of investment banking staff globally, amounting to some 3500 out of 23,300 employees.
A spokesman for Barclays declined to comment.
Jenkins took over in August after the departure of Bob Diamond, who left when the bank was fined for interest-rate rigging. The future shape and size of Barclays investment bank is considered the most critical part of Jenkins' review, as this business contributes more than half of group profits.
Jenkins is not due to unveil his "Project Transform" until February 12, but "Project Mango", as the investment bank revamp has been named by the unit's boss Rich Ricci, is close to being wrapped up.
Barclays hired a prestigious roster of veteran and expensive Asia investment bankers after the 2008 financial crisis, with the hope of forming a banking and equities business that would put the London-listed bank in the same league as Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley.
While the U.S. and European arms of the new Barclays muscled into Wall Street, the Asian operation was hit by delays in its equity platform roll-out, stiffer than expected competition from local firms, and a quick rebound in Asian markets that allowed rivals to regain momentum.
(Additional reporting by Steve Slater, Saeed Azhar and Michael Flaherty; Editing by Daniel Magnowski)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS