Coloccini Walks Out on Newcastle United - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | January 24, 2013 6:03 PM EST
Newcastle United defender Fabricio Coloccini has reportedly walked out of the club, according to the Independent, after negotiations over a January transfer to San Lorenzo broke down. The 31-year-old centre-back is Alan Pardew's captain and, until recently, was believed to be very happy to stay on at St James' Park.
However, the former Deportivo La Coruna and AC Milan defender dropped something of a bombshell earlier this month, when he told Newcastle officials he wanted to return home to Argentina and deal with unspecified "personal" problems.
San Lorenzo, an Argentine club in the country's Primera Division, have been heavily linked with Coloccini but club president Matias Lammens has repeatedly stated his club does not have the funds to offer the Magpies a transfer fee. In addition, Coloccini's £60,000 per week contract in England is also believed to be well outside San Lorenzo's budget, although that appears to be less of a problem.
"We are going to offer him a good contract... But Coloccini has to end his contract. We can't buy his transfer in no way. He has been chosen as the best defender of the Premier League, he is an elite player," Lammens told TyC Sports last week.
It now appears that talks between the player and the two clubs have broken down, with the Independent quoting a statement from the club's Web site:
"Finally, after long negotiations, we announce that Fabricio Coloccini will not join the roster of San Lorenzo. It is not possible to release the Newcastle player, and therefore the club will look for another alternative to strengthen the defence."
The Independent's report also adds Coloccini has left Tyneside for Argentina, after telling officials he will not play another game for the club. Newcastle are struggling in the Premier League this season and are 16th with only 21 points from 23 games, with relegation a very real threat.
Pardew has already lost Senegal striker Demba Ba (to Chelsea) this month and the loss of Coloccini, one way or the other, will not help. There have been new singings - the French pair of Yoan Gouffran and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa have arrived over the past 24 hours - but it remains to be seen if the saga involving their captain has a knock-on effect for the rest of the season.
The Magpies will next play Aston Villa, at Villa Park, in 29 January. And it is unclear, at this stage, if Coloccini will be involved in the fixture.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows