Japan Posts Largest Ever Trade Deficit of £49 Billion in 2012 as Exports Suffer
By Jerin Mathew | January 24, 2013 5:39 PM EST
The annual trade gap rose to 6.9tn yen ($78bn, £49bn, €59bn) as against the 2.6tn deficit recorded in 2011, according to Japan's Ministry of Finance.
Yearly exports declined by 2.7 percent to 63.7tn yen, while imports increased by 3.8 percent to 70.7tn yen.
In December, Japan recorded a trade deficit of 641.5bn yen, wider than 208.3bn deficit recorded 12 months previously. Exports declined 5.8 percent to 5.3tn yen in December, while imports rose 1.9 percent to 5.9tn yen.
The record trade deficit comes following the newly-elected Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's promises to take measures to boost the economy. Japan's central bank has recently announced a monetary stimulus to spur growth in the economy.
Japanese exports have been falling for seven consecutive months, as the yen strengthened against the US dollar and the euro, making its products more expensive overseas.
In addition, exports have suffered from a sluggish demand from debt-laden Europe and a territorial dispute with China that resulted in a boycott of Japanese products on the mainland.
Japan recorded an annual deficit of 139.7bn yen to the European Union, while its deficit with China doubled to a record 3.52tn yen.
With a view to tackling the high value of the yen and continued deflation in the country, Abe has pressed the central bank to take bold monetary easing policies. As a result, the Bank of Japan doubled its inflation target to 2 percent earlier this week and promised an open-ended asset buying programme from 2014.
Further, the country is struggling with its rising imports especially due to its increased energy needs, following the abandonment of its nuclear power plants in the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Before the atomic crisis at Fukushima, the world's third-largest economy relied on nuclear energy for about 30 percent of its power needs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes