Japan Posts Largest Ever Trade Deficit of £49 Billion in 2012 as Exports Suffer
By Jerin Mathew | January 24, 2013 5:39 PM EST
The annual trade gap rose to 6.9tn yen ($78bn, £49bn, €59bn) as against the 2.6tn deficit recorded in 2011, according to Japan's Ministry of Finance.
Yearly exports declined by 2.7 percent to 63.7tn yen, while imports increased by 3.8 percent to 70.7tn yen.
In December, Japan recorded a trade deficit of 641.5bn yen, wider than 208.3bn deficit recorded 12 months previously. Exports declined 5.8 percent to 5.3tn yen in December, while imports rose 1.9 percent to 5.9tn yen.
The record trade deficit comes following the newly-elected Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's promises to take measures to boost the economy. Japan's central bank has recently announced a monetary stimulus to spur growth in the economy.
Japanese exports have been falling for seven consecutive months, as the yen strengthened against the US dollar and the euro, making its products more expensive overseas.
In addition, exports have suffered from a sluggish demand from debt-laden Europe and a territorial dispute with China that resulted in a boycott of Japanese products on the mainland.
Japan recorded an annual deficit of 139.7bn yen to the European Union, while its deficit with China doubled to a record 3.52tn yen.
With a view to tackling the high value of the yen and continued deflation in the country, Abe has pressed the central bank to take bold monetary easing policies. As a result, the Bank of Japan doubled its inflation target to 2 percent earlier this week and promised an open-ended asset buying programme from 2014.
Further, the country is struggling with its rising imports especially due to its increased energy needs, following the abandonment of its nuclear power plants in the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Before the atomic crisis at Fukushima, the world's third-largest economy relied on nuclear energy for about 30 percent of its power needs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28